old manule tranny on 1996 318 help

-

clairday modtop

there's no car like mopar
Reaction score
i've been kicking around the idea of puting the 4 speed stick back in my car. the thing is that i would be takeing a 1996 dodge ram 1500 4x4 318 motor and all the extras and puting it in the car. my thing is that will the old manule tranny work on a FE 318? or am i stuck geting an auto for it? :read2:

You would need to either get a different ECM or set up the 4 speed with some type of speed sensors so the ecm can ID the rpm in and out,mrmopartech

The problem would be less.If you have a ecm programmed for a automatic,it will not react the same with a 5 speed manual,the whole system would be out control.If you want a 5 speed on the car,not a problem,have the ecm reprogrameed to a 5 speed.the dealer can do this if you talk to the leed tech and they can down load a new program into the ecm.This way you can use a 5 speed from a nother car/truck,mate it to the motor and run the system with the sensors and it will all work as long as you have the complete wiring harness for a manual tranny motor.Mrmopartech

ok. thanks alot, i think i'll check around and see if i can find a dakoda or ram1500 truck with the 4 or 5 speed and wireing harness. but first i got to pull the 400 out and patch my fender walls. dang wall headers.

I have done this in a '68 Dart, a 360 Magnum with a 4 speed, and I can give you all the details you'd ever want to do it.

This is going to be a long post, so relax.

List of parts you'll need to start:

Bellhousing from a 1989 through 1991 D-100/150 that was mated to an A-535 5 speed. THIS IS THE ONLY STOCK MOPAR BELLHOUSING THAT BOLTS AN 833 TO A SMALLBLOCK WITH A 153 TOOTH FLYWHEEL FOR 11 CLUTCH!!! Magnum stick flywheels are 153 tooth only.
Flywheel from a 1992 through 2003 1500/2500 w/318 (5.2)
STICK crank sensor from 3.9, 5.2 or 5.9. it must match the era of wiring (92-'95 OR '96-'02)
Wiring to correlate to the computer you decide to use.

The automatic wiring WILL work with the stick sensor, just modify the connector plug to make it plug in.
The wiring to both plugs are the same color codes for auto or stick, the factory just adds a "stopper" in the plug to make it unfriendly to work with.

If you intend to use a 4 speed, the bearing retainer o.d. on the '89-'91 D-150 is the larger diameter, 5.125 (I think that's right), like an overdrive 833 from the '70s.

Facts lesson:
The 833 4 speed trans. case comes with 2 bearing sizes, a small 307 bearing and a larger 308 bearing.
There are 5 23 spline a-833 bearing retainers that are possible.

1. 307 bearing, small bell pilot, small bolt pattern, used '64-'73 on 3 and 4 speeds w/23 spline input, small block only w/70-74 B&E bodies.
2. 307 bearing, medium bell pilot, small bolt pattern, used in '68 and '69 b bodies only, w/23 spline input.
3. 307 bearing, Large bell pilot, small bolt pattern, usually found on '73-'80 3 speeds, w/ 6 cylinder in A, B, F bodies and trucks or vans, OR 1974 and 1975 small block A bodies w/23 spline input, same outer diameter as description 5.
4. 308 bearing, medium bell pilot, large bolt pattern, used in '70-'74 383/400 23 spline B&E body only.
5. 308 bearing, Large bell pilot, large bolt pattern, 23 spline primarily found on overdrive 833s from 1975 through 1987.

What all this means is that if you want to use the D-150 bellhousing with an earlier 4 speed 833, not an overdrive, you need to procure the bearing retainer in description 3.
If you want to use an 833 OVERDRIVE, you use what's on it already.

Are you still with me? :D

The prescribed bellhousing will necessitate some floor mods at the lower firewall, for the hydraulic slave cylinder to clear, but it's the best fit without going totally aftermarket, you will need to go with a hydraulic clutch master set-up.

You will also have to notch the bellhousing to clear the crank sensor, as this bell was never used with a Magnum engine from the factory.
The bolt pattern is nearly perfect for an 833, 1/2 a bolt hole from perfect.
The bottom right bolt hole would need to be plugged and re-drilled and tapped to the correct dimensions.

What I've told you so far will at least get the transmission bolted to the engine.

Honestly, an 3 speed automatic would be by far easier and a lot less mods would need to be done, but I found the challenge, and success, of doing the 4 speed far more rewarding.

Any Mopar 5 speed into an A body absolutely requires structural mods!!!

Mark.

i tip my hat to u lol. after reading all that i may do the ez way out lol find a dakota sport with a v-8 and stick tranny or just put a stick on my 400. u the man lol

Mark Nixon, That is some good info, When I tried to do my premagnum to magnum conversion, that would've come in handy. I found out the hard way that the GeN I (87-90) dakota A-535 bellhousing did not support the use of the magnum flywheel, so I scratched my idea and went with an AX-15. The only thing that I would add to Mark's post is that the OBD I PCM's (92-95) don't care if you have an automatic or manual, they aren't programed to control the trans like the OBD II pcms, so as long as you get a magnum flywheel (which I can sell you cheap) you should be set. Also I'd stay away from any of the factory Dakota tranny's, they aren't known for holding up to decent hp/tq applications. That's why I'm converting to a TKO.

Abodyman, the OBDIs do integrate to the transmission, but it's only to complain about lock-up on some '94-'95s and even the OBDII systems aren't too bad to work with.
Some OBDII equipped V-6 and V-8 vans had 3 speed autos, these vans had a plug in the O/D Lock-up wiring that give the PCM a signal that nothing is wrong.
It actually simulates the ohmage of the transmission solenoids to trick the computer into not complaining.

I'm working on finishing getting both wiring harnesses, OBDI and II ready for future demonstrations in cars and on an engine run-up stand.
Got a V-10 one in the works, too. It's only slightly more complicated to sort out.:D

In the end, it'll be about like adding an electric fuel pump and an orange box to an old-style points equipped Mopar.

Mark.

im lost lol all the talk of pcm and obd and obdII lol i havent a clue to what they are lol. im learning some new stuff

Gee, and all this time I thought Mopar Performance made 4 barrel Magnum intakes and electronic ignition kits so you could ditch all the computer crap and get your engine to run. Also thought since the 5.2 Magnum has the same bellhousing pattern and is internally balanced, that an LA flywheel and bellhousing to match would bolt right on. Even thought I saw a listing for an external balance 5.9 Magnum flywheel at Mancini Racing if you want to go that route. Guess I'm wrong. I feel like such a clone!!! :tard: :tard:

Gee, and all this time I thought Mopar Performance made 4 barrel Magnum intakes and electronic ignition kits so you could ditch all the computer crap and get your engine to run. Also thought since the 5.2 Magnum has the same bellhousing pattern and is internally balanced, that an LA flywheel and bellhousing to match would bolt right on. Even thought I saw a listing for an external balance 5.9 Magnum flywheel at Mancini Racing if you want to go that route. Guess I'm wrong. I feel like such a clone!!! :tard: :tard:

i thought about going this route but i didnt want to lose the FI. but i am looking at a 82 cordoba with the 318 and front disk brakes. if i get it cheep enough then i'll just go carb. im geting a carter 4 barrel from a member to put on my 400 untill i pick what to do.

I thought an LA 318 flywheel wouldn't bolt up to a 5.2 magnum something about the rear main seal? any one done this? I would like to go this route with my 66 (no EFI or computerjust a carb and dist)

-
Back