Old School Flatty 6

-

country gent

Dodge Truck Dude
Reaction score
WARNING!! It's flat, not slant. Hi guys. Had a little time to chat in my busy retired life to bring you up to date on tinkering with my 47 Dodge pickup. When I got the truck, I was considering 3 options. (1)- put the body on my 74 360 W-200 Powerwagon, (2)-put in a 225 slant six running gear I had in a 78 2w/d Dodge pickup, or (3)- leave the flatty 6 in it and do some old school warming up. Well the Powerwagon is still in tact and running, the slant six went to a buddy of mine doing over a 64 Dodge panel truck, SO guess what??. This is going to be a slow project so don't expect alot of updates. This truck has a running original Sears Allstate rebuild in it(remember them?), installed in 1957. I am going to rering it,check the head for milling which I am sure Sears has already taken some off. I have just finished SPLITTING the exhaust manifold for a dual exhaust which will be 2" all the way back flowing thru a pair of Smithy Glas-Pacs. (Love that window shattering sound) Working on a fixture to fabricate a 2-1 barrel intake out of 1 3/4 mandrel bent tubing. Hoping to come up with a reground bump stick. Came across a vintage Honest Charley Speed Shop catalog of the early 60s that has the specs on some Isky cams. ( I almost cry when I see prices back then "NEW 600cfm Carter AFB-$35.00") Anyway hope to have a grind done by Oregon Cams. Still can get new oem adjustable lifters. If I can figure out how to include a photo of the split exhaust manifolds I will post it with this. Guess I filled your eyeballs enough for now. HAPPY MOPARING. Country Gent :clock:

IM006847.jpg

IM006848.jpg

IM006850.jpg

IM006701.jpg

Tom Langdon has a 2 carb intake manifold, Fenton cast iron headers, and an electronic ignition kit for the old Mopar flathead. If you want to give them a try they are at www.stoveboltengineco.com. He also has carbs, linkage, and air cleaners and is not trying to get rich off his parts. Nice to see someone hopping up a flattie. Gonna be a sweet truck when you are done. :thumrigh:

Great looking truck. Actually my favourite year. You seem to have done to your manifold what I had done to my slant six manifold. Great idea for duals. Keep up the good work.
Cheers Paul

Good looking truck! I prefer those years to the two pilot houses I have but I like them too! LOL Mike

What a sweet old beast that is! I LOVE the front end / grille assembly. Keep the pics coming ... this is what hot rodding is all about Gent. :-D

I am showing my age here, but I believe that Chrysler flat sixes as well as Hercules flat sixes were very common boat engines before the mid 60's. Speed equipment was common. I seem to recall that there were many parts that would interchange. If oldtimer's hasen't taken over, this might be another source for parts. Good luck.

a buddy of mine has a "spitfire" flathead in a '49 1 ton out in the pasture. I think it's stuck though.

Ya know, I have given that some serious thought Cudaguy. This cab has some rust through above the windsheild.I have another one of these at my place in TN with a solid roof and might swap roof sections,and while going through the trouble, take a few inches out. I kind of like the looks now though. The rearend sits on top of the springs, so I can get a few inches there, the same with the front axle. But hell, I got enough to do to get her on the road without the extra work right now. Remeber, OLD SCHOOL RAT ROD!!!
One other route to go is to keep her parked next to my powerwagon. (Look to your left) Ha Ha!!

GRUMPUSCREATURE. Thanks for the link to "The Boss" Have already been in touch and got some info on my other bow tie straight 6 project. Ken country Gent

Thanks TO ALL for the nice comments on my old gal. Keeps the ego going and maybe a shove to get my butt in gear to get things done. Will be heading up to the mountains of Tenn. though in a couple of weeks for a couple of months with NO COMPUTER. Strip off some more stuff off the parts truck. (photo). Will check back in when I return. Thanks again. country gent

IM006608.jpg

-
Back