On a newsstand near you.

-
I found it finally....I was just about to ask the clerk when I looked down and there she was staring at me......Dale that car is awesome...

Dale,
The car looks great....... Gotta ask you about the vintage looking slicks. Where did you get them and of course -- were they expensive? Also, what size are they? I'd like to replace the dry-rotted bias ply tires on my D/Dart.
Alan
Alan, the tires both Steve and I choose to run are made by Radir, under license from Mickey Thompson. They are M/T slicks. THey are a very hard rubber compound, and seem to wear like iron, even with the smoky burnouts I do at the track on occasion. They come out of the East Coast, and, at just under $300.00 a piece (!), are pricey. Coker Tire makes the Firestone pie-crust rear tire as well, and not only are they D.O.T. approved, but have thread channels cut in as well. The Hurst "cheater" slicks are re-capped tires, and by far the cheapest. But, they use a Goodyear Wrangler truck radial carcass, then put on their tread. I'd be careful if I were racing with these, but for the street, they'd be awesome!!!

Alan, try this site. You may find something you like here. I've seen their pie crust cheater slicks, and the front runners up close on a friends Hemi Dart, and they look pretty good.
http://www.hurstracingtires.com/1093440.html

(He had an original set of cheater slicks from the early '60s for comparison , and though the recapped slicks looked the same...they were actually done on two different brand tires. They had a cool checkered flag type sidewall instead of the piecrust. Unfortunately they were only 14".)
I'll have to post up a picture of a set of tires I have on display at the shop. They are from the JC Penny Catalog, and are racing slicks, with the real A/fx logo molded into the sidewalls. One of a kind, or at least, I've never seen ones like 'em before! At one time, to be able to order racing slicks from JC Penny!!

Thanks Outsider and funnycar farmer for the info on the slicks. I'm going to have to decide what style of rims, and rim sizes I want to use. The car currently has 2 old M/T Radirs and 2 original Radir mags on it. Although the mags need to be restored, the car looks pretty good with them on. The drawback is, they are 14x6's. Might have to use some 15" steel wheels.
Thanks again.........................

Straight axle cars rule!!! If you all get a chance, check out a website called "Gassermadness". Here's an old Henry J that I'll probably be installing either a 318 or 360 into, sometime in the future.....

P1001194.jpg

Straight axle cars rule!!! If you all get a chance, check out a website called "Gassermadness". Here's an old Henry J that I'll probably be installing either a 318 or 360 into, sometime in the future.....

P1001194.jpg
That'll be one cool ride!!! I just hauled to the shop down here in Pomona, another A-100 van for a straight axle donor. Its stuffed with all sorts of goodies, of which there is a clean 318 nestled between the framerails. Might be someone that'll work into your budget gasser build. PM me if you want to swing by and take a look at it!!

-
Back