On Oil Pump Priming

-

srg610

Reaction score
Just a follow up, but still have some questions about how long you have to run the drill. I heated up a brand new drill, and then went through one of the batterires on my cordless, and it did'nt seem llike there was an abundant amount of oil at the rockers. I think it did fill the oil filter, as the level went down on the dipstick. Do I just need to keep going?

Thanks

Burnt is right.....also are you going the right way....you should here the drill die down farely quickly when pressure is achieved

You have to rotate the engine until the oil holes in the cam journals line up with the hole in the block going to the rocker shafts. Loosen the bolt on the rocker hold down that sends the oil to the rocker shafts, rotate the engine slowly untill you see oil coming out around the bolt, then run the drill another 30 sec. Repeat for the other side.

You only get oil to the rocker arms when the oil holes on the cam are aligned with the oil holes in the cam bearings so it's hard to get oil up to the rockers. I just run it until I see oil on the pressure gauge then a few seconds more.

You only get oil to the rocker arms when the oil holes on the cam are aligned with the oil holes in the cam bearings so it's hard to get oil up to the rockers. I just run it until I see oil on the pressure gauge then a few seconds more.

It is easy if you have the valve covers off. Just don't take the bolt all the way out or you'll make a hell of a mess.

I forget the exact location (and it might vary from cam to cam), but I had oil to the driver side rockers close to TDC, and oil to the passenger side rockers somewhere around 170°. Just keep turning the motor over by hand while you spin the oil pump with your drill. If you still can’t see oil coming out of the rockers, then remove the rocker shafts and repeat (spin oil pump while turning motor by hand)…watch out though; with out the rocker shafts in place you will get a fountain when the oil passages line up.:-D

I forget the exact location (and it might vary from cam to cam), but I had oil to the driver side rockers close to TDC, and oil to the passenger side rockers somewhere around 170°. Just keep turning the motor over by hand while you spin the oil pump with your drill. If you still can’t see oil coming out of the rockers, then remove the rocker shafts and repeat (spin oil pump while turning motor by hand)…watch out though; with out the rocker shafts in place you will get a fountain when the oil passages line up.:-D

What he said.

Only thing I would add is when you 'find' the crank agle that gives you oil pressure at the rockers...make an index mark on your balancer and next time it will be SOOO very easy to verify oil pressure at the top end.

Terry

Ignition on, no spark plugs installed. The guage should show pressure or the idiot light should go out within 5 seconds if the drill on the priming rod is going the right direction. Once pressure is achieved, continue to prime while turning the crankshaft two complete revolutions. Every passage gets exposed to oil pressure this way.

-
Back