On the Hunt For Parts

-

Drg racr

Reaction score
I want to get started on my 69 'cuda. The big part is replacing the trans tunnel and brace.
What years of the A-body can I use? I know 67 was the start of the 2nd gen A body. I had someone tell me I can go up to 1974 and still have the exact same floor. Is this right?
So far, I haven't found a parts car with enough good metal to fix the hack job in mine. I really wish people wouldn't work on cars if they don't know what they're doing!!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

I think in 74 they used a cat converter and the floor around the left seat/ shift tunnel was slightly different for clearance. I believe it will work though 76, but an earlier one would be more correct.
They do reproduce the shifter tunnels for 4-spd conversions.

here is one, but think AMD also makes one. this lists 67 through 74.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-1967-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5648a09491&vxp=mtr

I think in 74 they used a cat converter and the floor around the left seat/ shift tunnel was slightly different for clearance. I believe it will work though 76, but an earlier one would be more correct.
They do reproduce the shifter tunnels for 4-spd conversions.

NOPE, and i know this from the experience of doing this.

i used a 74 floor pan and tranny crossmember for my 67 cuda coupe. worked just fine. cat converters on cars didnt hit till 1975. this is probably the year the floor pan changes for spacing for a converter and heat shield. not 100% sure if the floor pan changed in 75 but i know this is when converters hit the streets on new cars.

look at the pix of my floorpan and crossmember swap i have these on fabo. the original floor and crossmember was hacked by a previous owner. my only non stock seam on the floor pan is at the back. the dart is 110" weelbase, and the cuda is 108"

a 4 speed tranny tunnel is the same from 67 to 76 since its on the drivers side, i believe the converter is on the passenger side which shouldent change the shape of a 4 speed tunnel.

swapping the tranny crossmember is a bit of a pain as it ties to the framerails as well. i kept my old /6 K frame and lower arms installed in the car and used the /6 torsion bars as a jig to make sure the crossmember was welded in straight. when you clamp this part in place as long as the bars will easily slide in and out the crossmember is aligned, at this point just tack it in place, and recheck the brs to be sure they will still slide out. if so, then weld it up tight. make sure you temp brace your front framerails before cutting out all the old floor, and crossmember. i used some 2" box steel and tacked it to the frame rails, and tacked it to the rockers to hold the frame straight. swapped in the crossmember, then the floor pan. once this was in, i cut off the temp brace holding the framerails to the rocker panels, and junked the /6 K frame after it served its purpose. its all in my pix on fabo.

hope this helps
matt

-
Back