only running one wheel spacer?

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
hey fellows
i just got my wheels and everything in, and im good with the springs clearance on one side but the other side is too tight

now, i dont like running spacers, and i would rather not, so could i run a spacer on just the one side (it is the passenger side) that is too tight ?

As long as you keep the lug nuts torqued, you should have no problems. We have to run one spacer on the race Dakota because of how the rear is hung on the springs. We make sure to check the torque on all wheels as soon as we roll out of the trailer.

I run one on mine as well. No issues. Mine is primarily street driven.

It's either that, or center up the axle. Sometimes if you loosen the U-bolts and drop the lower shock attachments you can pry the axle over a little on the springs. It won't give you much, but, you might not need much either. Worth a shot if you haven't tried it yet.

It's either that, or center up the axle. Sometimes if you loosen the U-bolts and drop the lower shock attachments you can pry the axle over a little on the springs. It won't give you much, but, you might not need much either. Worth a shot if you haven't tried it yet.
I tried half of that...I loosened the passengerside and try to move the spring in

I don't think I have enough clearance on the driver side to split the difference and not need spacers

I tried half of that...I loosened the passengerside and try to move the spring in

I don't think I have enough clearance on the driver side to split the difference and not need spacers

Bummer. What is your clearance to the springs?

very little

ill double check tomorrow (allready got her put away for the night)

Gotcha. Well you only need about 3/8", which really doesn't look like much.

A small spacer is no big deal though. Personally I'd try and center up the axle by loosening up both sides and seeing if I could split the difference, then run thin spacers on both sides instead of a thicker one on just one side. It really doesn't matter as long as you have enough threads on the lug studs, but it just seems better to have it be the same on both sides to me.

I think the other thing with spacers is making sure you're using a high quality spacer, ie, one that's hubcentric and is designed for a single bolt pattern. That does present an issue though, because typically the only spacers that fit the 5x4" pattern are the "universal" kind, which can cause issues. They don't fit tightly to the lugs or the hub, so they can be off center and cause balance issues. This is the type I prefer, although, you may have to buy a set for 5x4.5" and have an extra 5x4" pattern drilled on them.

It does say "custom", maybe the seller can add the 5x4" pattern for you...
Custom HUB CENTRIC Wheel Spacers Adapters 5x114.3 64.1mm 5MM 3/16 Width | eBay

s-l1600 (3).jpg

This kind is what gives wheel spacers a bad name...
s-l1600 (4).jpg

Last edited:
i have 3/16 clearance on the tight side (i have to measure the other side)

i did order a set of 3/16 spacers of the model you mentioned, but in 5 on 100
i just need to hog out the register because it is a few mm to tight

with superstock springs, my clearance was perfectly the same on both sides. since switching to a caltrac set up, I have to shim one side almost 1/8" more than the other,and can`t get it out otherwise.

another thought on centering the axle. It may be a body issue, not the location of the rear. My rear is perfectly centered. The car had quarters put on it at one time and those measurements are what throws me off.

Yeah 3/16" is a little too tight!

When you open up the spacers just make sure the spacer stays centered and tight on the register so the spacer remains hubcentric. The 5x4" pattern is actually 5x101.6mm, so, you may have to oval the holes for the lugs a little as well depending on the diameter. They're probably for a larger stud though so maybe not. Still better than a generic spacer that wouldn't be hubcentric.

another thought on centering the axle. It may be a body issue, not the location of the rear. My rear is perfectly centered. The car had quarters put on it at one time and those measurements are what throws me off.

Yup, absolutely. An 1/8" to 1/4" difference in the body is nothing at all, it's pretty common. The factory tolerances on the quarters and wheel tubs weren't that tight. The axle is probably less often the issue than the body is.

-
Back