Opinions needed:Paint or Powder Coat Drum brakes?

-

Dfnsmn34

Margarita Mike
Reaction score
I've been looking at my rear drums and don't like what I see...Little rusty, and flaking...

Should I paint them the stock color? What is it anyway?
Powder coat them? Anyone done it?

If I do paint them... any heat issues I need to worry about?
Not many powder coaters on island...

Inputs/ideas wanted...

Mahalo!!

I had a set of rear drums powder coated for my first restore. They sure look good. I have since read that it might be a bad practice as the powder coating will prevent heat dissipation. Can't say one way or the other as the car doesn't get driven that much.
For the '72 Duster I am working on now, I may just use a high heat, or maybe a hammered paint - without expecting either one to hold up very long. I don't think they had much of any paint on them from the factory.
C

I had a set of rear drums powder coated for my first restore. They sure look good. I have since read that it might be a bad practice as the powder coating will prevent heat dissipation. ...

When properly applied and cured, powder coating is only a few mils thick ... an extra bit of heat retention can occur but it's not enough that you'd notice, and certainly not enough to have a negative impact on your braking.

I've always used just high temp paint like engine paint from a spray bomb.

When properly applied and cured, powder coating is only a few mils thick ... an extra bit of heat retention can occur but it's not enough that you'd notice, and certainly not enough to have a negative impact on your braking.

I assume your company has done this before...what is the ballpark pricing for this application...and approx. turn around...

Mahalo for the reply!
Mike

I assume your company has done this before...what is the ballpark pricing for this application...and approx. turn around...

Mahalo for the reply!
Mike

Mike, brake drums generally run around $35 each depending on how clean they are when they arrive, and what color(s) you choose to have them done in. I usually have some sort of discount or FABO special going on too, but the "10% off" for March ends today. See, for example, my opening post here: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=32967&highlight=phoenix ... I'll figure out what April's special will be and will, of course, adjust your quote accordingly.

Turnaround time is dependent on my current workload, but I strive to get customers' parts back to them as soon as possible (usually within a few days).

Please don't hesitate to give me a call if you wish to discuss specifics or have any other questions. Thank you in advance for the opportunity to earn your business!!

Thank you, Leanna, for the peace of mind!
With that said, I would recommend the powder coating.
C

-
Back