Opinions wanted on a 340 build

-

71dusterdan

Reaction score
Finally brought my 340 home after a year. It is a 71, 915 heads. Well it is froze up, so clearly my dream of a hone, bearings,cam and gaskets is no longer viable! The 915 heads are most likely 1.88 valves. My thought it to put a light piston in it and rather than spending the money on 40 year old heads, slap some EQ's on it! At that point have I just built a smaller displacement 360? Negating all the original 340 pluses. Or should I put a stock piston back in and get my heads rebuilt, with the bigger valves and a good valve job. I have a Comp XE268 to install, the engine will go into my 71Duster, 3.55-1's, 833od, 25" tall tire, 3 season driver! About 10k a year. Performer intake, stock TQ! I have also got everything to throw together 360, but after buying the Milodon road race pan, I prefer the 340. Thanks everyone!

Well so much for my pipe dream of rings bearings and gaskets! Not to mention my now confirmed hunch that my 915 heads are in fact small valve! Cam and lifter valley are all clean and loose! Two cylinders got water in them! Time to start smart shopping! Modern lightweight pistons and valves here I come!!! On a side note, met a body man today with a 71 340 Duster, been in his family since new! 509 cam in the 340... Damn that sounded good! Lit a fire under my ***! Right after vacation this July it will be time to get goin!!!!

-
Back