Opinions wanted

-
Thanks everyone for all the info. I'm gonna get it prepped and re-vinyled. It would have cost a mint to get the top prepped for paint, plus I figure the car was born that way.

I think it would look really good with a white hard top also, but maybe I'm biased. :D

IMG_0275.JPG

I am not sure you are understanding here. To PROPERLY prepare the top for vinyl, you will need to make it as perfect in prepping as if you were going to paint it. That's what the factory did not do, that's why they rusted.

So, in terms of cost, it will be almost the same as if you were painting the top. You should let the want for the vinyl top be your litmus test, not the cost, because the cost is virtually the same either way to prep it right.

The factory did not paint the roof of vinyl top cars. In addition, the holes drilled for the trim, and the installation of the clipd on the rivets all had the chance to cut through the paint. Hence the rust. If you want to "prep it properly" you should just prep and paint the roof. you don;t have to worry about making it perfect, just get material everywhere. Then install the new top. Personally I like them, and if a car had it, I'd put it back that way.

here's my 2 cents on "vinyl or no vinyl"..

there hasn't been a factory produced car with a vinyl top for probably 30 years (any of you guys correct me if i'm wrong). however, one of the very signature and common options available on almost all models of all the car manufacturers from the early 60's through around 1980 was - vinyl tops. ANY car that has a vinyl top is IMMEDIATELY recognizable as a "classic car." further, some muscle cars from the 60's - 70's seem to have been DESIGNED to look best with a vinyl top. i'm thinking 69 chevy ss novas, plumb crazy 70-71 barracudas, 70 GTXs, 67 GTOs, and probably a few more. there were a LOT of 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 Darts produced with vinyl tops. you almost "expect" an early Dart to have a vinyl top. i think a vinyl top on a 60s-70s muscle car makes a statement and immediately differentiates THAT car from ALL other cars. that's why i like vinyl tops on old cars - the top screams - YEA... I'M AN OLD MUSCLE CAR!! WANT TO MAKE SOMETHING OF IT?"

Be prepared to do major body work when you remove the vinyl most roofs from factory are not finished under vinyl usually about a 36 grit finish for better adhesion of vinyl top. You will have lots of finish sanding and blocking to prepare that roof for paint. Its not pretty under there from the factory.
This is what I was going to say. The factory also hid a lot of poor panel finishing with those vinyl tops. Like where the roof line meets the quarter panel.

The factory did not paint the roof of vinyl top cars. In addition, the holes drilled for the trim, and the installation of the clipd on the rivets all had the chance to cut through the paint. Hence the rust. If you want to "prep it properly" you should just prep and paint the roof. you don;t have to worry about making it perfect, just get material everywhere. Then install the new top. Personally I like them, and if a car had it, I'd put it back that way.

I know that. I said in my post to PROPERLY prep the top. The factory did NOT properly prep the top. That's why they rusted. If the top is properly prepped, and even painted........and it should be, then the vinyl top applied, the vinyl top will rot before the roof ever rusts.

RRR is right, and i also noticed under the factory vinyl roofs that there was very little paint, more like just whatever oversprayed on there when the body was painted and the roof to quarter seams were finished with bondo instead of lead and not painted either, acting like a big sponge holding moisture in there and just accelerating the rust.......
Your blue with black vinyl top car looks awesome as is, glad that you have decided to keep the vinyl top.

-
Back