Orange box internal wiring

-

jgrady

Reaction score
anyone have a print of orange box insides? Trying to do something, EE, use MOPAR box with points.can do if I can get a look at schematic of box.

Cutting points current to 250 mA they will last 60K + ; reason is to keep stock setup on restoration without having points hassles

I have a box partially torn down, but I'm afraid I ruined on of the caps doing so. If I get time this winter I'll get into it.

I believe it's pretty simple to trigger a Mopar box with points. As I recall, one or the other of the dist. pickup wires is all you need!!!!

But there's a caveat. He claims the box will trigger on points closure instead of points open, which will change rotor phasing. His solution was to gap the points down to a very small gap

http://www.gofastforless.com/

points.gif

Here's some experiments with points triggered HEI: This includes a simple inverter to change the phasing problem, and could be applied to the Mopar ECU as well

http://home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/Ignition/GPZheiModForPoints.html

But WHY would you want to do this?

I lose you on keeping the stock setup. How can you do that while adding a Mopar orange box?

There were several kits of old to convert a points distributor to electronic. I have the Crane XR700 on two cars. It puts a plastic slotted wheel over the points cam with an optical pickup in place of the points. Not a stock look since you need an external box, and not best performance since still needs the ballast and factory type coil. Better is the original Pertronix Ignitor since no external box. It also needs the ballast, but good for you since you want to stay original. You can pickup one cheap since many are upgrading to the better Ignitor II (no ballast, E-core coil) or III (adds MSD). I also recall one in J.C. Whitney long ago that had an LED that shown on the points cam (no trigger wheel). Don't recall if it had an external box.

-
Back