Orange box question

-

smythge

65 with a BIG BLOCK
Reaction score
I have the mopar performance orange box and distributor for small block in my car right now. I am converting to a big block which will come with a factory, stock electronic ignition, I don't physically have it yet so I have not had a chance to look at it. What I am wondering is, can I use the small block orange box kit (minus the distributor) with a factory big block electronic distributor, or do I need to buy the Mopar performance distributor for the big block?

What's the part number on your orange box and I'll compare it to the P/N on the orange box I'm using on my 383. They should be the same.

The ecu modules are the same regardless of whether it's used on a \6, sb or bb. And the module will work just fine with a stock electronic distributor and a stock coil for that matter.

Thanks for the info, thought it would work, but figured I'd better ask.

Yep it will work fine. We have had a stock dist and the MP orange box in my sons Dart from 1997 intil this year. Ron

The stock coil will only allow the box to operate to 5500-5800 rpms though, but with the Accel super coil and the correct ballast resistor the box will go to 6500-6800 rpms. They tell you this in the Mopar book.

BJR Racing

Thanks for the info. Is the ballast resistor that came with kit the correct one?

-
Back