Original '71 Duster Twister color options are ??

-

Ken71Twister

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've been planning to take my Duster back to it's original color which I think is called Hemi Red. I just purchased a new car this week which is a dark blue and it gave me the idea of asking if any of the '71 Twisters or 340s were originally blue. I think the answer is no - I recall shades of green, purple, and the red/orange that I bought. Were any of them blue? I've already purchased a new set of stripes that are black I think they could look good with dark blue. I recall a friend having a basic '71 Duster that was blue. However, I want to use a color used on the original Twisters.

Can anyone point me to a list of the original colors?

tx,
Ken

I believe the color you purchased is Tor-Red,Twisters also came in Curious Yellow, In-Violet, Sassy Grass Green, and Bahama Yellow and I believe also available in Petty Blue

Tor-Red - Thanks. I'd seen that name before but I couldn't remember it. I seem to recall reading about this subject a couple of months ago and I think different names were used by Dodge vs Plymouth for the same color. I'll have to do some homework to see what the Petty Blue looks like.

tx,
Ken

a friend had a petty blue ( or something real close to it) twister.. he got it from the original owner.

Pretty sure Twisters were available in any color in the Duster color chart. If you are doing a color change, I would not even worry about it being period correct, pick a color you like and go for it. For instance, since your car is a 71 and Joe mentioned Petty Blue, if you like it do it, even though Petty Blue AKA Basin Street Blue was a color introduced in 1972.

Thanks for the responses and the color chips were helpful. As 67 Signet said above - Tor Red is the color used on the Plymouth that I was trying to remember. Hemi-Orange is apparantly the same color - but used on the Dodge.

After further thought - I'm going back to the Tor-Red. The black/gray looked good when I converted the color in 1990 - but I regret having ever changed the color.

tx,
Ken

-
Back