OSHA Lockout/Tagout Training

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
Just completed it and got my certificate. We don't really use it in my line of work but we had to be certified in so we are aware of the procedures in manufacturing plants that we contract for.

I can sum it up as... don't be messing with any breakers or switches that are tagged or locked out, you just might kill someone.

Got that right, and if it allready has a lock on it, you go ahead and put your lockout on his. I used to work industrial 4 years, nothing to mess around with.

Got that right, and if it allready has a lock on it, you go ahead and put your lockout on his. I used to work industrial 4 years, nothing to mess around with.

Got that right. It would seem to be common sense, but I understand the consequences of not following this procedure, people's lives are stake. We don't work on the machines themselves, but we do work around them on occasion. There's a tech or two I've met that work for our company that have the mental capacity and physical dexterity of Porky the Pig.

Are you surprised?? LOL?? that this reminds me of a story??

In 1968, I entered U.S. Navy Electronics "A" School at Treasure Island, in the middle of San Francisco Bay. SOON after school got rolling, the Navy wasted no time in starting to educate us about electrical safety. Remove rings and watches, work with one hand, etc

MOST important was that when you tag something, IT IS NOT to be messed with except by the person who put it there or by direct authorization of that person, IE the two or three techs working on the problem

So, we had a GREAT amateur radio club on station, Google K6NCG. We had a tower about 120 ft, one that I have been up several times, and was in fact my first real climbing experience, other than trees

So we got a gigantic Hygain log periodic out of salvage, this thing is HUGE. The boom is approx 40 ft long and the boom itself is made of tower sections. The longest element of the thing is about 40 ft, so this thing is about 40 ft square, and weighs hundreds of pounds.

The rotator was (by "ham" standards), HUGE. It was a box ? about 1 1/2 ft square, worm drive. Now, the rotator originally had a rotating hard line joint, so it was designed for 360* rotation, so had no stops in the rotator. EDIT--a corner of the rotator is visible in the bottom photo, so this was the day it went up

It happened, as per schedules, etc, that we didn't get a mod done in there to get stop switches installed. So we put it up anyway, a story all by itself. "Young 67dart273" standing on top of the tower, belted to the antenna mast above the rotator, clamping the triband and 20M monobander to the mast!!!!

ANYway...................so we get as far as we can --with no rotator stops.... and the 120V cord plug had holes through the blades. So I, me, 67dart273, personally put a Great Big Official red safety tag right through those holes.

................You KNOW what's coming, right? So next evening I arrive at the club, and several of the guys look to me like they don't want to LOOK at me, LOL, and sure enough, "we wanted to rotate the beam, and we thought we were careful, but..............."

Yup., That huge rotator "never knew" it had ripped two RG-8 feedlines right in half. Prollly never even worked hard, LOL

This may or may not be the same type beam we pirated the rotator off of, but similar

Hy_gain_antenna2.JPG

I believe this was taken several years before I raped the landscape, or vice versa, but this is the club "as I knew it", with the 120ft tower, and, likely the same two antennas when I was there. This was on the NW end of the island, a nice night view of SF, the Golden Gate, and Alcatraz

hamshack.JPG

From atop the tower towards Yerba Buena Island, and the "Bay Bridge," Oakland to the left, SF to the right

maingate%20from%20tower%20top.JPG

A view from atop the tower generally to the Oakland end. It was a "fair walk" about the centerline of the photo, to the horrid old wood WWII barracks we , uh, "lived" in

base%20from%20tower%20top.JPG

At bottom, Me, in 68 or 9, getting ready to go up---EDIT just noticed, that is a corner of that very rotator at bottom of photo, so, "this is the day" it went up. Guy above me is probably George Burton, who I take partial credit for turning into a "rodder." He was the first owner of my 70 440-6 RR

Attachments

• img032s.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 251
Are you surprised?? LOL?? that this reminds me of a story??

Not at all, lol! Why in the world would someone pull off that tag? I'm assuming you were identified on the tag? That is one bad-*** big log by the way.

we have been doing LOTO for years now. mostly valves for us though. but we do open quite a bit of breakers also..

safety safety safety

I supply all the lockout/tagout locks for the Boeing plant in our city.The plant is 750, 000 sq. ft. And they are adding another 170, 000 sq. ft. Do ya know all your colors, lol.

I am an electrician by trade. I depend on LOTO to keep me alive. Our company policy is everyone working on it has a lock on the "tree" and has their own key, there are no spare keys. Everyone signs off before you light up a line. I have had to drive to guy's houses before to drag them in to take their lock off. For the company I work for, you cut a LOTO lock, you're gone, ZERO exceptions

I have had to drive to guy's houses before to drag them in to take their lock off.

Not so much safety, but it really used to piss me off, we'd have to go up to some radio site, with a "big chain" of padlocks at the gate chain, and usually, the gate is already way up some goat - trail of a road/ hill/ mountain, and there you are ---"your" padlock is locked out of the chain.

I've never understood what is so dammed complicated about putting a lock in a chain so everybody is "in"

daisychain.jpg

-
Back