over drive transmisson for an early A body.

-

prrc

Reaction score
Whst would be a good over drive transmisson for an early A body. Dont mind doing yhr fsbricstion to make it fit. Just wsnt some thing reliable and can handle around 450 HP and the abuse of out cross.

A500/42RH would be my choice, suitably beefed up. In fact, I have a core 42RH waiting to be rebuilt for my 65, although I seriously doubt my 318 will make anywhere near that power. You WILL need a custom built (lock-up) torque converter, and it WILL cost some $$$.

Okay thanks what did they come in from the factory also why is special convertor

A500/42RH would be my choice, suitably beefed up. In fact, I have a core 42RH waiting to be rebuilt for my 65, although I seriously doubt my 318 will make anywhere near that power. You WILL need a custom built (lock-up) torque converter, and it WILL cost some $$$.

Or not, check out gopnh.com, They build quality OEM stall range torque converters, even with the billet fronts. If you swing it right a factory hi-stall is 2250-2350 is plenty for a mild build like that. More like the 1900-2100, once you take into consideration flash stall and all that.

42RH is going in my ride. :D

I learned my lesson on skimping a lock up convertor with my diesel pickemup....Was towing 8500 pounds up one of the passes in Montana. Truck was in od, the convertor went to lock up and could not hold the load. Truck shuttered so bad it blew the gps off the windshield and made the cd player skip. Had my buddy put in a triple disc billet/stainless t/c...locks up hard enough that it makes it feel more like the truck is shifting into another gear. Have pulled 14000 pounds or so with the convertor locked, uphill & according to my programmer I had 0% t/c slippage....

-
Back