Overheating Problem

-

dazedduster

Reaction score
Need Advice, I Put A 360 In My 340 Duster It Runs Great Without A Thermostat When I Install One The Temp Keeps Climbing. I Shut It Off At 210. I Tried A 195 Cheepo First And Just Put In A 180. No Its Not In Upsidedown. Could It Be Vapor Locking And Not Opening. The Sending Unit Is Not Far Away From Thermostat So If Its Picking Up Water Seems Like Thermostat Should Be. I Can See Its Not Circulating Water Through The Radiator With The Cap Off, All The Hoses/radiator Are Good With No Thermostst In I Can Watch It Circulate. Any Suggestions.

I have in the past drilled a 1/8 hole in the outside disc of the t-stat just to make sure no bubbles or pockets are under it. Just for grins I would run and exhaust gas check on your coolant system. Could be a head gasket related problem. HTH

BD

Just a thought here. Make sure you don't have "Too Much" clearance between your water pump's impellers and the front of your timing case covers' water pump 'jacket'. This would lead to poor pump performance aka 'lack of flow'. Has happened to me.

If there is a high volume water pump installed, it may prevent the t-stat from opening. A high flow stat is required.

Had the same prob with my 360 w/Moroso electric pump. I wound up gutting the thermostat and using it as a restrictor. Last saturday, the ambient temp here was in the 60's and the engine stayed around 180-190 sitting still. It takes a little to warm it up but at least it doesn't go up to 230 like when I had a thermostat in it. Just my 2c

dont use stants. they are POS. even a "super stat" is just stainless steel. use a milodon or mr gasket high flow 180* stat. just like ramcharger said, if a hiflo pump is used, a regular thermostat opens against the flow of water and could be getting pushed shut by the force of the water. the ones i said open with the flow of water. did you leave the cap off til the stat opened to alleviate all air pockets?

-
Back