Overloaded starter relay

-

coro500net

Reaction score
Have a 69 Valiant with 470 bb, I put in a denso 3 wire alt and I ran it to the relay to take load of amp meter and ran sense wire to relay also. So I have 2 wires from the alt going to the relay battery stud as well as the two wires from the factory harness going to the stud also. The issue is that the stud can hardly fit those 4 wires and I’m wondering if I’m overloading the relay? Are there any better relay options? I’m putting this car back together so I’m not ready to crank it over yet.

Last edited:
Have a 69 Valiant with 470 bb, I put in a denso 3 wire alt and I ran it it to the relay to take load of amp meter and ran sense wire to relay also. So I have 2 wires from the alt going to the relay battery stud as well as the two wires from the factory harness going to the stud also. The issue is that the stud can hardly fit those 4 wires and I’m wondering if I’m overloading the relay? Are there any better relay options? I’m putting this car back together so I’m not ready to crank it over yet.

It won't overload the relay. The stud basically becomes a splice.
A bad connection at the stud could cause headaches, but the relay itself won't carry any additional current.
You could look at adding a bus bar or isolated terminal, then run a jumper from there to the relay. That way if something happens, it's less likely to take out the relay.
But the number of connections you're describing doesn't seem to warrant that kind of extra work IMO.

There are various wiring supplies outfits, most particulary marine oriented, that have such things as pedestal mount insulated studs for junction purposes. You could buy one, run a jumper from the relay to that stud, and relieve some of the mechanical strain. So long as it is a good mechanical/ electrical connection, and is not stressing the stud mechanically, it won't actually hurt anything.

Just one example: I am NOT either endorsing or dismissing this item as good or bad, just simply one example

Amazon product ASIN B09B2KSGZ9

This phaeioucked up new software the link will not post

Amazon product ASIN B09B2KSGZ9
WHY IN THE HELL CAN'T YOU POST A LINK ANY MORE!!! IS THIS AN IMPROVEMENT!!??
type in dubya-dubya-dubya(not)amazon(dit)com and then add the below nonsense to the end

/Battery-Cable-Junction-Block-Stainless/dp/B09B2KSGZ9?th=1

GOD DAMMIT JOEY WE EXPECT BETTER

amazon.jpg

I REALLY GET TIRED OF EVERY TIME THERE'S A DAMN "software upgrade" there is MORE CRAP that DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE

Last edited:
No, it isn't. It's a photo of the web page
YES, IT IS,

Well when I tap on the photo it takes me to Amazon and the part for sale?

Technology is amazing!

This is the link that is associated with the image

http s://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B2KSGZ9/ref=as_sl_pc_tf_til?tag=fabo03-20&linkCode=w00&linkId=&creativeASIN=B09B2KSGZ9

I put a space between http and the s so the link would not load the image

All clicking the photo does at my end, is to open the photo larger. It does not take me to the actual web page. So I don't know. All I know is the OLD software WORKED JUST FINE.

-
Back