oversized valve stems

-

Buschi340

Reaction score
... for X / J Heads. I did read on some internet articles that I can use these instead of installing bushings to cure my side play probs. My problem now is that I can't find a (internet-) shop to buy them. That's the question, I need a source who offers valves with different stem diameters....

Thanks,
Michael

Buschi,

You really should consider getting your valve guides replaced. Oversize stem valves are just a band-aid. The problem is that the valve guides don't wear concentrically, they wear ovoid due to valve stem/rocker arm loading.

Yes guide replacement is the cure here. Of course better yet would be a new set of heads if you can afford them. I would advise you to look into both options as replacement heads may not be as expensive as you think when you compare what you'll pay for all the machine work on your old heads. Plus you'll get unleaded compatible seats in the new heads, not to mention fresh new seats as well.

So you Guys think that at least new bushings in the Guides is the way to go instead of these valves? New heads are a bit pricy to ship to germany I think.

Install bronze guide liners. Cheaper, faster, and amlost as good as full bronze guides on iron heads.

oversize valve stems are not popular these days, used to be a standard repair decades ago. good luck finding any :)
i prefer liners over full bronze guides, mostly because i have seen too many machinists will damage heads putting them in.

-
Back