Owning and driving old cop cars...:)

-

Abodybomber

Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:)
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Traded a old Ford Galaxie., for a '88 9c1 optioned Chevy Impala. Had a weird carbed 350 Chev in it, with a 700r4.. Was called " narc! :) " a few times in it . Eventually lowered it , and slapped Z28 wheels on it. That damn thing would do 110-120 , without breaking a damn sweat . and accelerated decently as well.
I miss the damn thing...
Share your personal cop car experience...;)

My Brother in law up in Templeton drove a still black and white Polara 440 for years.
Closest experience I have with one, besides having a Police 440 Magnum in my 69 Roadrunner.

dont think ive even been in the front seat of one

stir.gif

I drove one for 30 years, that was enough for me. :lol:

I had a 77 Monaco ex hwy patrol car for awhile. It had a 360 in it. It would just float down the highway at 130 without issue. I bought it for $400 drove it for about 6 months and sold it for $700

Drive a white 2009 Charger Pursuit, some drivers slow down when you catch them on 2 lane roads!
I'm sure when it's a little older it'll be treated as "just an old car"
Lots of fun to drive, stone stock! 170k miles.

When I was a kid my dad had a '78 9C1. I thought it was fast.

My neighbor has a '70 Satellite Adam12 clone.

What engine does your have? I know they run 6 cylinder engines in some of those.

Drive a white 2009 Charger Pursuit, some drivers slow down when you catch them on 2 lane roads!
I'm sure when it's a little older it'll be treated as "just an old car"
Lots of fun to drive, stone stock! 170k miles.

LOL when I moved to the big island of Hawaii we had a 87 Monte Carlo Aerocoupe, black with red ss stripes, well all the cops drove the same care non aerocoupe, and we moved into Puna also plus I had short hair and did not smoke weed so I was a automatic cop! Was kind of interesting for sure. Now the back of a real one:rolleyes:

88 Plymouth Gran Fury... North Dakota Hwy Patrol. Bought it for $500. Loved it.

I've driven a late 2000's P71 Crown Vic, performance was kinda blah. The interior was kinda cool though, it had bucket seats up front with no center console and a rubber floor mat.
Even though the cops around here don't use them anymore people slow down when you get behind them in one.

Robert. If you c could pass through a smog test....Are you rolling test pipe.dyno yet.. ?

..?
Or. rolling dyno B.S

No smog here for anything 26 years old or older.

Even then it's a "soft" check with a DLC hook up.

It's not hard to move the gas tank over one notch on the straps and run true duals for an A-body with a little modifications to the pipes.

Never dyno'd em. No need. The 318-4bbl wasn't exactly the fastest car out there. One twenty was pushing it hard.

But, with usual Mopar fashion they were damned near bulletproof.

LOL when I moved to the big island of Hawaii we had a 87 Monte Carlo Aerocoupe, black with red ss stripes, well all the cops drove the same care non aerocoupe, and we moved into Puna also plus I had short hair and did not smoke weed so I was a automatic cop! Was kind of interesting for sure. Now the back of a real one:rolleyes:

We were rolling through the bad part of town in Tampa one night in a pair of M-body AHB's.

Watching people duck into allies and clearing street corners was fun to watch.

I used to drive the real cop cars when I was a CHP officer in south Los Angeles in the 80's. The 318 Diplomats were a piece of junk. Merging on the freeway one day on an uphill on ramp, I could not even get up to the speed of traffic flow and had to brake to avoid a collision.

There was only one decent car in the L.A. office back then, a standard tranimission 5.0 Mustang that really flew (it was off-limits on rainy days).

Right out of high school, I worked in a Chevron station (73-75) where the CHP would fill up in their 440 Dodge Polara's. That is what I would have liked to have seen in place of the doggy diplomats.

My 71 Polara in my avatar was found in a salvage in a small town in southeastern NE back in '96. Back then I basically bought it for parts. I always dreamed about getting it back on the road. In 2012 a friend of mine offered to help me do just that. Nebraska used 2 dr hardtops for a couple years. The original HP 383 was froze up. we used a HP440 and transmission that I got out of a '75 Patrol car, TTI exhaust, a 2.76 pumpkin to replace the 3.23 for interstate use.
I did some research and found the correct red lights and light bar, and the long whip antenna that they used. I've driven it about 8000 miles in just a few years. Everybody loves it. I get waves and thumbs up from law enforcement when I meet them. It gets more attention than a lot of show cars. It has been a blast. By the way I use a NOS Thermoquad on it

Yes, this Polara was special ordered by the Nebraska State Patrol. I have documemtation. The 140 mph certified speedometer, the fast idle lock, holes where the antenna was mounted, dinged up roof trim where the roof lights were mounted. Fender tag info and build sheet.

I had a 79 LTD ex Bibb County car. 351W, Autolite 4 barrel, real dual exhaust, greaseable bronze control arm bushings. "Certified Calibration" 140 speedo. It's bury it right quick like. It was a quick car for its size. If I dig enough, I might can come up with a pic or two.

I had a 78 Monaco with the 440. Beige. It was some sort of supervisor's car used out in the southern california desert, and had radiators for everything. ATF, power steering, oil. That car was so choked with smog crap it couldn't accelerate worth a hill of beans.

-
Back