Paint for exhaust manifolds thast works??

-

gunmetal72

Life is a dark ride
Reaction score
Ok, I have never seen a high heat paint that will acually work on exhaust manifolds but I am told they now make a coating that works. Has anyone used something that will work and not burn off?

I guess it depends on what you mean by "works"..... the 1200 degree duplicolor lasts for a while....the eastwood paint is pretty decent and lasts a while longer then the spray duplicolor even ceramic powder lasts for a little while longer.....They all "work" but some lasts longer than others.....plain & simple nothing lasts forever and paint on manifolds has a relatively short life span because of the nature constitution and function of manifolds.....and headers......if you find a paint that lasts longer than a few years on manifolds or headers please share

I know what you mean as some paint co. say they are the best but only last a little while. Short of powder coating (not in the budget) I would like to find something that will last longer than 1000 miles. If I do find something I will send out for all.

Alot of people dont take the time or spend the extra few bucks to go with a high temp primer before and a high temp clear afterwards. They make a HUGE difference in helping the manifolds look good a little longer than normal

If you like black as a color, I've used Weber barbecue grill spray paint and believe it or not, that stuff really holds up. I sandblasted the manifolds on my truck and made sure they were absolutely clean and handled them afterwards with clean gloves so that I didn't touch my bare hands on them. I sprayed about 3 or maybe 4 even coats on them and they still look good and it's been over 5 years ago. I guess maybe barbecue grills get pretty hot too and they never seem to peel so thats why I decided to try that paint. Also I didn't use any primer on them. I wasn't sure if the primer would take as much heat so I skipped it.

If you like black as a color, I've used Weber barbecue grill spray paint and believe it or not, that stuff really holds up. I sandblasted the manifolds on my truck and made sure they were absolutely clean and handled them afterwards with clean gloves so that I didn't touch my bare hands on them. I sprayed about 3 or maybe 4 even coats on them and they still look good and it's been over 5 years ago. I guess maybe barbecue grills get pretty hot too and they never seem to peel so thats why I decided to try that paint. Also I didn't use any primer on them. I wasn't sure if the primer would take as much heat so I skipped it.

Yep....I used a simialr paint...Dulux Pot Belly Black.....for painting Potbeely stoves. I used it on my 4-1's on my old CB900....lasted for years.
Again, as mentioned above, sandblasted and clean....surface preparation is everything.

I used the eastwood high temp cast paint. So far so good. Mike

Attachments

• engine 115.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 168
  • engine 117.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 197
  • engine 209.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 177
  • engine 300.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 171
Hey I blasted my manifolds and sprayed on some slip plate. It is a spray on graphite coating that I read about in some Musclecar mag. I bought it at NAPA for about $8 for a can. It looks very good and so far, it has held up very well. Better than anything else I have used. See Ya!

Powder coating is cured at 390F for 10 minutes..do your manifolds get hotter than this? Yes...I used the white ceramic header paint from VHT, worked great on a stripped clean header.

-
Back