Paint to match white upholstery

-

ChrisN68

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 69 Barracuda convertible and reupholstered my seats in white from Legendary, and have the door panels/sunvisors to match. I'm trying to figure out what shade of white to paint the side panels, as I'd like to avoid the dreaded multi-color white interior. I bought a can of SEM Super White, which comes relatively close, but doesn't really match. I'm sure others have had this dilemma, too. Has anyone out there redone a white interior with Legendary's white and found something that matches well?

Here is a pic of a piece of steel that was primed white and then painted over with SEM Super White, and on top I placed a scrap piece of the Legendary white upholstery. You can see the Super White is much lighter.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_2186.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 138
I think your going to need a custom match by someone who has full SEM tinting system and can tint the colour you have providing its not an aerosol can. The chances of you finding an off the shelf match is slim, that's my best solution and what I would do. You would likely need to go to a body shop supply store that has the SEM system.

The interior colors did not match when new. Painted parts, plastic parts, vinyl parts - all different.

If SEM has a pearl white in a spray bomb, it will be closer than the super white.
In my eye that vinyl grain doesn't look correct for 69 A-body vert.

All good points and suggestions. I do have a supplier nearby who has the SEM system. I guess I will bring a sample of the vinyl to see what he can do to match it up.

I'm not sure about the correctness of the grain, that's what Legendary sent me, and they knew what vehicle I had. That said, I'm not worried about that level of correctness, and it sure does look better than the suede seats that were in there when I got it!

As far as the all different shades/colors, how different is different? I'm not trying to do a concours resto, just want it to look relatively consistent.

Just saw this mentioned on another thread, not sure if it's helpful.

[ame]http://www.herbsparts.com/documents/HerbsParts_InteriorPaintColorChart.pdf[/ame]

I'm planning on using the pearl white on the backs of my buckets when I put new covers on them. I've heard nothing but good things about the paints but have no first hand knowledge.

Legendary will sell you a can of dye to match the lot for the upholstery you installed. I am not recommending as it took four months to get my can. Countless snafus. But it does match and looks great. Mine was '73 dark green to match the outside shade of the upholstery. Since OE never matched as mentioned earlier it is nicer looking than new.

Dennis

Thank you all for the suggestions. I took one of the new Legendary sun visors over to the local shop and they color matched it for me. Cost more than I wanted, but it looks dead on, and since I have to paint a bunch of parts, I'd rather get it right.

-
Back