Paint??

what would you do?

• Total voters
-

67Signet

Smoke and chaos stunt coordinator
Reaction score
Hey guys!....Mopower to this site it Rocks.

I recently found a 1973 gold duster that is a total survivor.
This car is all original and has less than 80 thousand miles.
It has the disk brakes and the 8 1/4 rear and currently the original 225 /. 904 drives like a dream, DMV stopped the 92 yr old lady from driving and her kids sold it to me.

The body is clean enough to just buff out the just slightly oxidized from being uder a carport when not in the garage, MIST GREEN?? paint. I cant find one on the net anyone have pictures???
Here is my paint issue.
I cant seem to find any mist green dusters and its hard to picture
I need help
The car is clean as I said it has the white sport top and the white decal on the tail light panel.with dark green interior, very clean except the tear in drivers side bench.
While im in the middle of my other project ( my 67 signet ) Id like to clean the duster up a bit,
But I cant decide
It would help if I had pictures of mist green dusters with the sport top, one black and one in white to compare
I am looking at either
A : Dying the sport top black..(yes its still good!)
and adding the sport stripes for the side and replacing the rear tail panel with the black....
OR

B: just polish and clean the car and add the white tripes on the side.(I kinda like the stripes that are straight down the mid fender line that widen a bit at the back

Has anyone converted a duster from reg back seat to flip down back seat? interesting Idea.
Also looking for a good wheel combo for this car...
and a go wing..but what scoop..?.
hmmm planing is half the fun!
What do you think?
It will end up being a 360 with over drive 4spd car... my plan ,,, saving the original drive train too. 225/ w a 904
My priority now is the stripe color choice and who do I buy them from.
Thank you guys. this is a great club. and thanks to capt I dont have to read a book at, night instead I read about his very cool story!

the mist green with white top and stripe is very nice in person. you won't regreat this combo. i have a pic of this i will dig up.......

Get the stripes from Phoenix Graphics....that's where I got my stipe kit for my Duster. As for the fold down rear seat........good luck finding parts. I have the fold-down rear seat and it's a PITA to find trim and stuff for it. Legendary has the seat covers but other stuff is not around. I'm partial to Centerline Autodrags on Dusters......the only other wheel I like is Weld Drag Lites. I say no on the Go-Wing also......not a big fan of them.

well i have the color and the car and the year, but not the top and stripe like i thought. it is a 73, mist green but black striped. i remember this car from the owners photo book. when it was restored it originally had white top and stripe , but the owner removed them in favor of the black on it now. i will continue to look though....hope these help

FH000028.jpg

If your intrested I have a fold down back seat in dark green and all the pieced to mount it. the guy i got my car from was going to convert. i am looking for a regular back seat maybe we can swap.

If that's an original vinyl roof, just scrap it, there's no way it can be "Good" after 33 years. Unless it was totally garage kept in low humidity, I'm sure it could use new material and a fair amount of rust repair under the vinyl. Not to shoot your plan down. It really depends what you want from the car... Show? Show n GO? Just go? There's a million options, do it like you want it. Allways can upgrade from there. Think about it so you dont spend money 2x

Thank you for the response,

Daze Duster..
I am interested in seeing pics of the back seat and possibly trading...pleas let me know.. [email protected]

7demon2
Thannk you for the picture it does help!~

This car has lived in the same neighborhood all its life in Hollister, California a dry and hot area near Gilroy California
Its partial Vynal top is in good condition for its age maybe a little dry but even close it looks good,I think it could use some treatment or conditioning of some kind'

I appreciate the picture of the mist Duster it does help becuase I can almost picture the white in contrast.

I think I will get the white but if I add the snorkel hood it will be black..
Is that the way the "white striped cars" came.with black snorkels?
I have seen a pic of a snorkel painted white but I didnt think it was factory.
I am thinking I will use the white "spear" stripe on the sides
I do like the Weld Drag /Lites what Tires are you running dusterb318 ??
Thank you all for you feedback!
Bruce

I run BFG Radial Drags in the back (275/60) and Dayton's up front (165R).

only the twisters had a hood scoop as an option. the snorkel scoop was never offered on the duster, or gold duster. see this link:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=14339

this will explain. as far as color of snorkel, it would have been black per factory specs. if you are going to use one you could paint as you like. i think that if you are going to keep it's original color with a scoop then i would do the black stripes and black scoop. it would look better i think. either replace the top with black or loose the top.

-
Back