Painting engine with POR15 engine enamel problem

-

ESP47

Reaction score
I cleaned my block and used their metal prep product to etch the block. Stirred the Chrysler Blue engine enamel and when I go to brush it on, it's extremely thin. I was under the impression that it was going to be thick like their rust prevention product. I feel like I'd have to paint 10 coats to get the thing coated. The product says you can brush it on and it's self leveling but I mean no ****, it's almost as thin as water so of course it's going to be self leveling.

Am I doing something wrong here? I was expecting this product to be much thicker. I don't see how you could possibly just brush it on and have it look anything better than a 3rd graders water color painting on the fridge.

I have only used their chassis paint products and never their engine paint. Can you take pics of ithe area where you made one pass on the block and perhaps on a piece of white paper before & after it dries? Just curious.

I painted my engine hemi orange and it came out really nice , make sure you stir it with a stick , do not shake it.

I have painted 3 engines with Por 15. It will need at least 2 coats maybe even 3 but that stuff will be on forever and have a great gloss. Best of luck
Rod

Stir stick reach bottom of can?probably a bunch of solids that didnt get mixed in.

I gave my motor two coats of silver por 15 sprayed on. Then I followed with three coats of PPG body color sprayed on while the por was still tacky. Worked well, looks like new.

I cleaned my block and used their metal prep product to etch the block. Stirred the Chrysler Blue engine enamel and when I go to brush it on, it's extremely thin. I was under the impression that it was going to be thick like their rust prevention product. I feel like I'd have to paint 10 coats to get the thing coated. The product says you can brush it on and it's self leveling but I mean no ****, it's almost as thin as water so of course it's going to be self leveling.

Am I doing something wrong here? I was expecting this product to be much thicker. I don't see how you could possibly just brush it on and have it look anything better than a 3rd graders water color painting on the fridge.

Any updates? I assumed the paint was mixed properly so didn't mention that. Was that the problem? I'm thinking of ordering some so want to know if that solved the issue or if perhaps there's a bad batch out there.

Any updates? I assumed the paint was mixed properly so didn't mention that. Was that the problem? I'm thinking of ordering some so want to know if that solved the issue or if perhaps there's a bad batch out there.

I used the Por Hemi orange on mine, It was fairly think and flowed out nicely. I brushed mine... twice
Cuda Engine pics Aug 2017 (7).jpg
Cuda Engine pics Aug 2017 (7).jpg
IMG_20170805_114908.jpg
IMG_20170805_114908.jpg

Hey sorry for the delay. Figured it out.

A buddy was helping me out and he was on the phone when I had done the final prep. I went inside the house and he thought we were on a different step and sprayed the engine with the solvent. He didn't know that it had to be rinsed off and I didn't realize it was on there and that's what caused the coverage issues. Just a miscommunication. The paint is fine. Took two coats to cover the engine. It self levels decently but I wouldn't brush a valve cover with it.

Thanks for all the advice fellas.

-
Back