Painting Milodon oil pan?

-

71dusterdan

Reaction score
How would you prep a Milodon oil pan for paint? Sure that gold color is pretty, but I want my engine to be all red. Call me old, but I think the headers are the only thing that should be a different color. Thanks

I was wondering the same thing
I hate the look of miss matched coloured engines
Im picking up my pan today

Ok for what it is worth, just spoke to a buddy that runs a coating business. He said go ahead and paint right over it. Evidently the anodizing is a fantastic base coat. They do it all the time. They do anodizing, powder coat, paint and everything related. I will let you know how it works.

I often just wet sand with 320 grit then two light coats of etching primer before paint.

I called milodon about refinishing a vintage milodon pan for a vintage race car I am building.
This was a couple years ago. They won't mess with it.

I wish I could post pics to fabo off of my phone. First coat and the pan looks really good. The anodizing seems to like the red Rustoleum. Gonna need 1-2 more coats brushed on, but happy so far.

Self-etching primer...available is spray bombs at most automotive paint supply stores. It sticks to almost anything. I shot a light coat on my aluminum Eddies just before spraying them and the rest of the motor Hemi Orange.

Attachments

• IMG_3829 (Large).jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_3830 (Large).jpg
    49 KB · Views: 230
Ok for what it is worth, just spoke to a buddy that runs a coating business. He said go ahead and paint right over it. Evidently the anodizing is a fantastic base coat. They do it all the time. They do anodizing, powder coat, paint and everything related. I will let you know how it works.

Painting is one thing (I'm not a painter and will never claim to be), but if you want your powder coating job to be streaky and uneven with matte and shiny spots then go ahead and coat right over that anodizing. Your buddy might "do it all the time" but I like my stuff to turn out as close to perfect as I can get it. You can't skimp on the prep work or cut corners or it'll come back to bite ya on the backside.

Thank you Leanna that is definetly words of wisdom. My pan will require a light wetsanding and polishing. However I am more than happy with the results, it looks fantastic. Better than a hidden oil pan needs to.

-
Back