Painting steps and preps

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
I have decided I am going to try and paint my 65 Barracuda myself. What I am looking for is confirmation to the steps and processes involved.

First sand the car
Fix any blemishes
Dings and Dents etc
Apply epoxy primer
Sand and level
Second layer of epoxy
Wet sand
Apply base coat with proper hardener
Wet sand
Apply Clear coat

Is there anything I am missing? Any processes or tips and tricks you can recommend?

Body work

Prime/block (correct anything you missed) Primer is for sanding.

Seal. Sealer is for adhesion.

Base (On a Base/Clear finish you do not sand the Base Coat)

Clear (You can wet-sand and buff your clear but you need to be careful and know how much you have. Once the clear gets thin, it will start falling off.)

I thought that using epoxy primer you do not need to seal.

I plan to lay down 2-3 maybe 4 coats of base and 3-4 or more of clear. I am doing a medium blue and I would like either a metallic or pearl coat so I am shooting for that mile deep look.

First sand the car
Fix any blemishes
Dings and Dents etc
Apply epoxy primer
Sand and level
Second layer of epoxy
Wet sand
Apply base coat with proper hardener
Wet sand
Apply Clear cost

you might want to skip sanding the epoxy and go to a 2k high build 2-3 coats. Block it down. 2k again block with 400. top coat.

Most Epoxy suck for sanding and the 2k will help fill sanding marks. Sealers are usually used to prevent anything on the undersurface from coming though in your final top coat.

I like using a thick coat of Poly primer like Omni MP243 before I apply surfacer. It's like spray on filler. It fills any imperfections and small dips that you may have missed while blocking.

I like these steps
Strip and prep for filler (I like taking the metal where filler is applied to 120-150 grit)
Apply filler-Block with around 220 grit
Epoxy primer
Poly Primer-Block with around 320 grit
Surfacer-Block to 600 grit
Base
Clear
wet sand 800-2000 grit
cut and buff

Block, guide coat, block, guide coat and block some more. I have an assortment of blocks, but my favorite is a durablock that is about 15" long.

As you can tell, I love metallics. :tongue8:

Attachments

• Paint8.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 412
  • Paint6.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 431
  • 101_2832.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 420
Badart those are the results I am looking for. I am not a professional but I figure if I take my time and pay attention I can get reasonable results maybe even good to great results.

I have seen lots of talk of paint on here but nothing to technical as to the processes involved these posts are exactly what I was looking for.

Badart those are the results I am looking for. I am not a professional but I figure if I take my time and pay attention I can get reasonable results maybe even good to great results.

I have seen lots of talk of paint on here but nothing to technical as to the processes involved these posts are exactly what I was looking for.

It really is all about prep and making sure that you have good adhesion. If it's your first time I would stay away from metallics, because what you got is what you got. Very difficult to blend and you can't sand the base. Where if you shoot a not metallic you can actually wet sand blemishes and shoot clear over them. The hardest part is prep and after the clear is applied if you ask me. I am also a beginning painter, because I have only painted about 6-7 cars, but that is from metal work to polish. My first 3 cars paint jobs were a little rough. BTW

My. 02.Please pick a paint rep in your area.You do need assistance and help locally.Omni/Ppg is a great one.take your time,keep blocking.Good luck.

Before you start wet sanding your clear and cutting it I would find someone who has done it before to help you. Honestly there are so many tricks to painting and much of it for me is a "feel" thing. I can often feel a problem before I can see it.

block
block
block again.

You dont want to be blocking epoxy. Use a high build 2K or poly primer.

Dont wet sand the base coat.

Starting out its a good idea to have a helper to keep track of flash times, do all the mixing and keep your gun full. That way you can focus on your paint technique.

I'm not giving you my .02. I just want to encourage you to go for it and keep us abreast of how its going. I am going to paint my 65 Formula S in the spring if all the mechanics are complete by then.
Good Luck
Tommy

I agree with finding a paint store that will help you out. I personally use ppg/omni and have had good luck, also an amateur. Just make sure you get tech sheets on the material you are using, some epoxy primer you are not supposed to sand, have seen sand scratches come thru on topcoat. I would recommend getting a junk yard fender and practicing. I practiced on a $500 sundance!

-
Back