painting the interior of the trunk..

-

grassy

Reaction score
I have been told that I am not allowed to paint the outside of the car. I can live with that but I do need to paint the engine compartment. I figured as long as I had the interior our of the car, I might as well spray the door sills, underside of the engine bonnet and trunk.

The trunk as lots of undercoating, etc...there is no rust. Not keen on stripping everything out. Can I just spray over without prep but not have it all just chip out.

To do in the door jambs, do I need to take the doors off.

Just looking for a bit easier route.

Thanks
Grassy

You need to clean it well otherwise any places that are dirty will become contaminated and bubble up and will have to respray again

Would you use something like brake cleaners or a tad harsher like acetone ?

Do I need to scuff with sandpaper ?

Thanks
ian.

I did mine pulled trunk plugs hit it with pressure washer let dry and painted so far so good. Also put plastic where rear seat is so as not to get it wet.

I talked to a paint shop today...they suggested that a 2 pac primer put down would make the sprayed paint stick better.

Is the a paint sprayer that can spray vertically ?

Thanks
Ian.

I'm in the same boat. I need to paint my trunk and door jams as well. It's well proven that prep work is the most important step. Make sure to remove any dirt and dust first by using a bristle brush and compressed air. Now that its dirt free, you'll need to use a wax and grease remover to make sure there are no oils left. Areas that are easy to get to can be sanded lightly with a scotch brite pad or fine sandpaper. Hard to reach areas can be lightly sprayed with an adhesion promoter such as Bulldog. Now your ready to shoot the primer and topcoat.

I preped mine like you would the exterior and painted it the same.
Ed.

Attachments

• 047.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 180
i went to the paint store this week. I was actually looking for an etching primer. ..i went back to the internet to confirm his answer.

I gather with the new epoxy primers, you no longer need an etch primer.

My trunk is rough with whatever Chrysler used in the trunk. Light sanding isn't possible so I am just cleaning/degreaseing.

After I spray the primer in, I have @ 24 hours that I can spray my paint in or I will have to sand.

The weather sucks at the moment so i am going to hold off. The engine bay is ready to go and well as the engine bonnet has been decreased as lightly rubbed with sandpaper.

I actually found rust on the weirdest spot..I will post pics on my thread in a week or so.

The fife convinced me to let someone else paint the car and the paint man suggested that I let him do the door openings as well.

This is one step closer to getting the car on the road.

Ian.

-
Back