Panasports, anyone??

-
I had a set of Panasports on my tiger. Nice wheels but yea they can be a bit pricey. What's nice is they are really flexible on their offsets for weird cars, and yes they are 2 piece.

Thank you,

Most of your photos show your car moving not just setting. I enjoyed your wheel buffing.

Michael

I was trying to put back that machined lip looking finish they have on aluminum rims. You could use this same process on Torque Thrusts or other machined lip aluminum rims. These rims were in fantastic shape. Only a couple nicks in the edge from storage and had tires on them briefly. The bare uncoated aluminum rims were sitting in shed for a long time and that why there were dulled. You could use a long flat file and a harder rubber impregnated deburring wheel to remove curb rash if needed

So I just ran it through this brillo pad type wheel I have that impregnated with some fine grit. It's really a deburring wheel I believe

I put the rim on a swivel shop stool so I would rotate it while the sanding wheel was running. Then I shimmed the electric motor to get into angles when needed. I also put blocks of wood under the rim as neccesary to get the right height to the sanding wheel.

This gave it a very consistant finish as opposed to hand sanding. Plus it was very quick.

I have gone back and used Wenol on the rims and it gives a more shiny finish. But still not like a fully buffed aluminum finish. And the Wenol keeps it from getting dull longer.

Attachments

• OptimaBuffing05.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 161
  • OptimaBuffing09.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 175
  • OptimaBuffing11.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 155
  • OptimaBuffing17.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 191
Years back I had Halibrants for my Signet complete with Knock offs which I wanted to use until a friend offered me 3000 for them and the rest is history. I really like the Minilite style wheels except for the fact that there isn't any great centerpiece which could bring it all together and so my search goes on...

I had a set of Panasports on my tiger. Nice wheels but yea they can be a bit pricey. What's nice is they are really flexible on their offsets for weird cars, and yes they are 2 piece.

Exactly. For those realy interested it is worth looking at each product line within each of the brands. While they all look similar, there are solid cast versions as well as multi-piece and super light wieght models.

Exactly. For those realy interested it is worth looking at each product line within each of the brands. While they all look similar, there are solid cast versions as well as multi-piece and super light wieght models.

I notice they have solid cast and bolt on cast ones. But thier website is very lacking on info.

Do they have two piece welded versions?

I don't see a list of diameters, widths, and backspaces?

Steve,
I'll have to dig into my files. Give me a day to look. Vaguely recollect some back and forth phone messages or e-mails with a dealer or two. I can't even tell you which brand(s) wheels this was. One of the websites was pretty thorough - maybe Super-lite's ? The others required filling in spec sheets and discussion. I don't know if I got the answers to your questions. As my inquirey progressed, Dave bought the then newly released Ansen style cast rims. That seemed like the cheap, easy and least time consuming answer, so that ended my active pursuit of competition wheels.

Ontos, That is the car!:prayer:

Isn't it wild how a car stays in your memory?

When they come up for sale don't forget us. Or trade on something. A old lava lamp, some 14" steelies with new tires and matching ittybitty hubcaps, whiskey, a cannon ball ( size depends on how strong the floor is in your house), etc, etc.

thanks

Michael

Sold it a few years ago, the floor pans, firewall and rear quarters helped restore a '69 GTS 'Vert. No idea where the wheels went.

Sold it a few years ago, the floor pans, firewall and rear quarters helped restore a '69 GTS 'Vert. No idea where the wheels went.
Well it happens

I guess I will just keep my cannon balls. I have a 14" that I was wanting to paint like a basketball and leave it under the basketball goal in my back yard.:finga:

-
Back