Parking brake light

-

furydan

not so junior member
Reaction score
I have a small round light sticking out of my dash in the same spot that the tach for a 65 formula s mounts. I found a light bulb and socket and wiring under the fuse box still connected to the parking brake lever. Does this light go into the small round thing in the dash. There is nothing plugged into the round dash thing it is just a threaded 3/4" tube with a clear lens and chrome bezel. I will be putting a manual choke cable into that hole and won't be using the light, I just wondered if anyone else has this set up.
P.S. I tried pulling the brake lever to get the light to work, but no dice.
Dan

My car is a 66 and it has a 1" chrome bezel with a 3/4" clear red lense that hangs just on the underside of the dash on the drivers side of the column. Yes it is the parking brake light. It wont work unless the switch on the parking brake lever is adjusted correctly and the bulb socket is grounded.

There was also an option for 4-way hazard flashers that used a red light on the lowest part of the dash just to the left of the column, and a chrome toggle switch next to it. The wiring harness was a simple interjection into the turn signal switch wiring, a male and female pair that could be inserted at the steering column harness connector. Certain states required 4-way flashers-- my NYS car was one of them. I have never seen another '66 similarly equipped, nor do I know for which years that option was officially available.

I suppose it would have been confusing to have a car with red indicator lights for both the parking brake and the hazard? ;)

- Erik

64 Valiant, 170 3-spd
82 Volvo wagon, 5.0 5-spd :)

There was also an option for 4-way hazard flashers that used a red light on the lowest part of the dash just to the left of the column, and a chrome toggle switch next to it. The wiring harness was a simple interjection into the turn signal switch wiring, a male and female pair that could be inserted at the steering column harness connector. Certain states required 4-way flashers-- my NYS car was one of them. I have never seen another '66 similarly equipped, nor do I know for which years that option was officially available.

I suppose it would have been confusing to have a car with red indicator lights for both the parking brake and the hazard? ;)

- Erik

64 Valiant, 170 3-spd
82 Volvo wagon, 5.0 5-spd :)

Few years ago I parted out a 66 Dart GT with the flasher option. No red light but it did have the chrome flasher bezel, switch and wiring as you described as interfacing with the steering column wiring. Have also obtained an identical NOS wiring set-up but did not include the bezel or switch. Also found another NOS flasher set-up which did include the light but the switch was a push-pull instead of the toggle switch. Also interesting was the flasher, which was a 3 terminal rather than a 2 terminal.

-
Back