Parking Light Gremlin 73 Duster

-

moparspares

Reaction score
If I have my front indicators/turn signal lights on and then I pull the parking lights on the turn signal goes out. Is this a grounding problem? and if so how are the lights grounded in a plastic grille.

Ground problem. Should be 3 wires to the sockets, ground, park, and turn

Screw at to radiator support. Do the turn indicators in the inst' panel come on with park lamps ?

If not the chassis ground, possibly bad bulb socket or wrong type bulb installed.

Here's how this works, follow along.

IF the front park/ turn signal sockets are not properly grounded, and you turn on the park lights, the current goes something like this

From the light switch, through the harness, through the park light filaments WHICH CANNOT get to ground. So the current continues through the TURN signal filaments, "back tracking" through the harness, into the interior, through the indicator lights (either fender or cluster) which IF they are grounded then light up.

OK

Cleaned up the ground wire on the steering column, cleaned up the ground wire on radiator support. Replaced the ground wire from negative battery to rad support. Made absoloutly no difference. I am going to break into the parking light ground and ground it directly to body. Hopefully this works Opinions?

Turn parking lights on with signals off. (centered) Indicator lights should glow or light

Take your test light or meter and ground it to a good ground, battery neg or engine block.

"Stab" the probe into the side of the TS/ parking lamp socket. I'd bet it will light or show voltage------indicating lack of ground.

Also pull the bulbs in the park / tail and make sure they are the correct bulbs, and that the sockets are OK inside

Checked all the bulbs and they seem to be good. Went to do the procedure you suggested but I now have no indicators at all. No power to them at all. Dont know what fuse it is on the block but I checked all the the fuses one by one and put the test pencil across all of them and they are all good. Parking lights are still working but no indicators.

I am hopeless with wiring but I would like to get this fixed myself.

Found it. There was a fault with the 3 way plug on the harness. Cut it off replaced with another one. Crimped the lugs and soldered all joints and now flashing beautifully. Now have to attack the horn which sounds like a mountain goat without a voicebox.

-
Back