Parking lights not working

-

BullsIgt

Reaction score
Hello, I have done some searching on here and was unable to find information that could help me. Recently my parking lights/dash lights/tail lights have stopped working on my 1964 dart gt. This happened after a rain storm and since I did not know the car leaked I found a puddle of water on the rubber floor mat the next day.

Usually when this happens I would check the fuse box to see if a fuse was blown but I couldn't find one under the dash or under the hood. Does anyone know if there is one? If there isn't I would assume that the problem is with the two stage switch that controls the parking lights and the headlights. However the headlights come on just fine. Is it possible that water shorted the switch out at only one position? I'm pretty new to working on electrical systems but I know enough to check for power and ground however I have no idea which wires to check. I found a wiring diagram here
I have no idea if it is accurate or not. Like I said I'm new to this so any information that could help me fix the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Also I tried removing the panel that has the switch/ trans push button on it but could not get it to budge after removing the two screws. I didn't want to force it in fear of breaking the panel. So anyone knows how to remove it that would definitely help.
Thank you in advance.

The headlights are a different circuit. The headlights only power comes from the splice in the ammeter wire and goes right to the light switch

I'm not familiar with the fuse layout in the older cars, but if your tail lights work, it's not the fuse.

This leaves the bulkhead connector, always a suspect, or the feed coming out of the light switch (connector) to the park lights, or the switch itself.

On the newer cars, when manufacturers went from "no park" in headlights to park / tail / head all staying on, all "Ma" did was to move the feed to the park lights right at the swtich over to the tail light terminal.........still used the same switch.

my tail lights/dash lights/license plate light do not come on when the switch is pulled to the first position. The tail lights do come on when the brake pedal is pressed.

So you have no running lights, or dash/instument lights then.

VERY well could be the switch.

Check and see if license plate light and tail lights come on with switch pulled all the way out for headlights. I agree with Trailbeast. Could be the switch. Dennis

Since tail/ park/ dash none of them work this is most likely a fuse or poor connection problem at the fuse panel, or poor connection at the headlight switch where that power goes to the switch, or the switch itself.

Does anyone know the location of the fuse panel? I could not find one. Also does anyone know how to remove the switch? I tried for to figure it out but I cant really see how it comes out.

Not sure of fuse panel on earlier cars. There's a 65 shop manual posted here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=244981

All older cars, Ferd, GM, Mopar, etc, use the same trick to get the light switch apart. Up under the dash on the switch is a release knob. Unhook the battery, pull the knob clear out, and push the release, then pull the knob and shaft out of the switch

headlight-switch-random.jpg

**UPDATE**
Ended up checking the fuse panel and saw that the fuse had popped. Replaced the fuse and as soon as the brake pedal was hit the fuse popped again. Traced the wires to the back of the car and found a few that the plastic coating had deteriorated and was shorting out on the body of the car. Re-wired from the fuse panel to the back of the car and everything works!:cheers:

Thanks for the update. Sometimes you do need to get your hands dirty, LOL

-
Back