Passing trans lines thru cross member.

-

younggun2.0

Reaction score
my trans cooler is located in the rear of the car. I am in the process of routeing my cooler lines to the trans. I had to find a way to get past the transmission cross member. I decided to go thru it. Here is what i did.

first had to split a chunk of 1" schedule 40 pipe down the middle then splice in a section of 1" wide plate. This is what i ended up with.

cross4.jpg

Then i had to cut the hole in the cross member. What a ***** that was.

cross3.jpg

Then i took my time and fitted the insert. here is is mocked up.

cross5.jpg

here it is welded in. The whole insert is 1/8" thick so it should be even stronger then before. welds still need some dressing.

cross2.jpg

cross1.jpg

nice, i was toying with mounting mine back there too but ended up out front. any pics of the cooler mounted?

oh ya, saw that on your other thread and didn't put it together. looks good

Nicely done, looks good and still has strength.
You don't want to know that my Dynamic 727 reverse manual race trans doesn't have a trans cooler and only a deep sump finned aluminum pan. Been in my car 25 years w/o a problem of any kind, heat or otherwise.

Nicely done, looks good and still has strength.
You don't want to know that my Dynamic 727 reverse manual race trans doesn't have a trans cooler and only a deep sump finned aluminum pan. Been in my car 25 years w/o a problem of any kind, heat or otherwise.

i am running a 4000 stall speed dynamic converter and will be driving my car on the street alot. i am just trying to make it as dependable as possible. that and i like that i have the coolers hidden under the car. trying to keep it clutter free.

Younggun2.0, I understand that perfectly and am not trying to change your or anyone's mind at all. My Signet uses a 3000 stall and free wheeling first gear and it a total street car. When Harold and Frank built my trans, they said a cooler wasn't necessary and it hasn't been since.

Younggun2.0, I understand that perfectly and am not trying to change your or anyone's mind at all. My Signet uses a 3000 stall and free wheeling first gear and it a total street car. When Harold and Frank built my trans, they said a cooler wasn't necessary and it hasn't been since.

I am always open to this sort of information. My Transmission was built by a local guy me and my dad have always used. It is just a stock 727 out of a c-body. It has the cheetah forward pattern manual valve body with the upgraded servo arm. It is pretty much a stock rebuild other then that. I was just going by what i though was right. I have always read and heard that heat is what kills a trans. my thinking was that with the high stall speed on the street i would be creating alot of heat. then when i decided i wanted to hide the cooler and mount them out back i thought i would make up for the air flow with a larger cooling area. who knows i may have way too much cooler or not enough. either way i will be learning what works for my car. its only money right? ha ha ha

I am always open to this sort of information. My Transmission was built by a local guy me and my dad have always used. It is just a stock 727 out of a c-body. It has the cheetah forward pattern manual valve body with the upgraded servo arm. It is pretty much a stock rebuild other then that. I was just going by what i though was right. I have always read and heard that heat is what kills a trans. my thinking was that with the high stall speed on the street i would be creating alot of heat. then when i decided i wanted to hide the cooler and mount them out back i thought i would make up for the air flow with a larger cooling area. who knows i may have way too much cooler or not enough. either way i will be learning what works for my car. its only money right? ha ha ha
How far are you from getting your ride on the road? Be interesting to see how well your coolers work with no fan or air flow. I am planning on pretty much copying your set up, hope you don't mind. Saved the pictures just to remind myself. Friend that will be building my trans would probably put a bullet in me if I did not put a cooler in my car. Heat is indeed lethal to a trans. My diesel truck has 2 coolers in it, the radiator, one in front of the intercooler and one under the truck by the fuel tank. When towing in the desert if I could not get the convertor to lock up I would see 230* or so. With the expense of of trans stuff I can not imagine not running a cooler, but to each there own. Fluidyne db 30613 was the one that I used on a truck project a while back. Had it mounted on the cage up in the wind and worked well.....

i think the coolers will see some air flow. not alot but some. the air will be going under the car. just one of those coolers is said to be enough to cool a trans with out the radiator so i think the two of them should get the job done. as for the car being done (are they ever) im hoping to take my first ride by no later then the 26th of december. that is my 30th birthday. after the cooler i just have to finish 1 brake line in the front of the car and then wire the car up and its blast off.

i think the coolers will see some air flow. not alot but some. the air will be going under the car. just one of those coolers is said to be enough to cool a trans with out the radiator so i think the two of them should get the job done. as for the car being done (are they ever) im hoping to take my first ride by no later then the 26th of december. that is my 30th birthday. after the cooler i just have to finish 1 brake line in the front of the car and then wire the car up and its blast off.
There is indeed airflow under the car, just with the coolers mounted the way they are the air very well might just pass over them. One of my old toys I just mounted a pair of coolers behind the bumper. No duct work or anything. Trans never seen over 200*. Truck had a somewhat loose convertor and often seen deep silty trails where the convertor was running at the stall for minutes at a time. A bit early, but Happy 30th Birthday.....

Looks really sharp. Very clean fabrication. The plumbing tunnel through the crossmember is a real nice touch.

-
Back