-

jtkaaa07

BossMan
Reaction score
Anyone try one of these kit's, it looks like it would be pretty awesome

Attachments

• Passon_Overdrive_Flyer_20091109.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 586
All new gears and bearings etc. Everything but the case, thats actually pretty good. Plus improved gear ratios and overall top gear. I would be interested in one of these kits to replace the guts in my A833 O/D box. For now it will stay as is. Maybe eventually some day.

All new gears and bearings etc. Everything but the case, thats actually pretty good. Plus improved gear ratios and overall top gear. I would be interested in one of these kits to replace the guts in my A833 O/D box. For now it will stay as is. Maybe eventually some day.

I guess so, I wonder what it would cost to send in my transmission and have him do the work and maybe there would be a credit for the guts that are currently in the transmission to help offset the cost. Probably wouldn't put much of a dent into the cost though, but at least you know it's built right.

Yessir. The only 5 speed that would make sense is Passons own designed 5 speed. I think they call it an A855, but even that is outta sight price wise.

I read an article that Steve Dulcich did regarding the Passon overdrive. I emailed Steve and then called Passon and spoke with Jamie himself. This was two weeks ago. The price for the kit was $1995.00, plus another $140 for the 23 spline input, rebuild kit for the trans itself was $105 and sychros would set you back $55. That is should cover it. If you need a clutch and pressure plate and linkages or shifter add those too. I found a guy in Ontario, Ca that has a dismantling yard that will sell me a 6speed from a newly wrecked Challenger for $900 for the core. Then it needs to checked for 1-2 grinding. I know the cost of the conversion will require more but seems reasonable. Good luck...

I read an article that Steve Dulcich did regarding the Passon overdrive. I emailed Steve and then called Passon and spoke with Jamie himself. This was two weeks ago. The price for the kit was $1995.00, plus another $140 for the 23 spline input, rebuild kit for the trans itself was $105 and sychros would set you back $55. That is should cover it. If you need a clutch and pressure plate and linkages or shifter add those too. I found a guy in Ontario, Ca that has a dismantling yard that will sell me a 6speed from a newly wrecked Challenger for $900 for the core. Then it needs to checked for 1-2 grinding. I know the cost of the conversion will require more but seems reasonable. Good luck...

I hear those 6 speeds are big and require quite a bit of cutting.

What article and which overdrive are you referring to? Are you referring to the Passons 5 speed overdrive or the Passons overdrive retro fit for 4 speed trans that the OP brought up (basically 3 speeds + overdrive just like the factory but better supposedly)?

I believe he was referring to passons 3 + 1 overdrive for the A833. Passon's flyer states, no cutting, or modification since it fits right inside "your case"

I'd love to have one of their new A855 5 speeds. True bolt in, and no cutting.

Last edited:
I'm referring to the 4 speed over drive with the hemi input shaft, was hoping someone had tried it to get input on how they liked it. I just thought for half the price this may be a viable ulternative to the 5 speed

I'm referring to the 4 speed over drive with the hemi input shaft, was hoping someone had tried it to get input on how they liked it. I just thought for half the price this may be a viable ulternative to the 5 speed

Okay, Cool. Just wanting to confirm.

I wish this kit was available when I rebuilt my transmission, but then again at that time I would probably have been skeptical.

I have a completely different mindset now driving with a 4 speed on a freeway trying to keep up with traffic that's doing an average of 75 mph.

If I could do it over again, I'd go with this OD transmission and some deep gears in the rear. While trying to achieve about 2500 to 2700 (max) RPM at 75 or 80 mph.

I hear those 6 speeds are big and require quite a bit of cutting.

What article and which overdrive are you referring to? Are you referring to the Passons 5 speed overdrive or the Passons overdrive retro fit for 4 speed trans that the OP brought up (basically 3 speeds + overdrive just like the factory but better supposedly)?

Yes. There is a bunch of trimming the floor pan. I don't mind really.

I was referring to the 4 speed OD conversion article. Seems pricey but if you want stock then it is the way to go.

Thanks

I wonder what the 18 spline input sells for. I have a factory od now, but the passon od would be stronger, and have better gear spread. The 1-2 shift leaves a bit to be desired on the factory unit. I also wonder if his aluminum 833 re-pop case is any stronger than the factory alum case. ?? Guess I should ask him one day :)

-
Back