Paxton Supercharger!

-
Saw that car at Fall Fling. It was nice to talk to you and meet your mom. Killer set up and a sweet ignition system. Too bad about the headers..... :poke:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I had a problem; it was a 120-mile round-trip from my front door to the strip, and my car needed 110-octane fuel to run its best at the drags, but would run okay on 93 octane driving to and from the race.

What to do????

The only solution that seemed to make any sense to me was to build TWO complete, autonomous fuel systems; one for the strip; one for getting there, and daily driving.

A LOT of push-on hose, A-N fitting$, and head-scratching, later, I had my dual-fuel system.

By turning a few valves, and flipping a couple of electrical switches, I could use either fuel supply, run through either of two pumps and filters, and the entire fuel switch-over only took about two minutes.

Looks like a plumber's nightmare, but it works for me; 110-octane in the fuel cell for racing (10-pounds of boost on a Vortech-inspired 360 Magnum), or putting down the hi-way at 60mph, on pump gas.

I just have to remind myself not to let that boost gauge needle sweep over into non-vacuum territory, when I have the 93-octane mouse milk flowing...

The GOOD fuel pump is in the trunk; the Holley Blue (street) pump is under the car, by the rear axle. That's it behind the air bag...

See pix for a better understanding of this Rube Goldberg wet dream...:wack:
man i could take all the money at the st races with that granny lookin monster! but only once....lol

The complete tech article will be in an upcoming issue of Mopar Muscle. It is a conservative tune with only 7lbs of boost and it runs great with 91 octane pump gas. The dyno results were weird because my 8" 4500 converter wouldnt hold on the dyno. I have since installed a 10" 2800 from PTC so when the car comes back from Hot August Nights it will go back on the dyno. I will post the dyno #s when they give them to me. Seat of the pants dyno is "OH CRAP" this thing is FAST! The car went 12.80 @ 104mph at Mopars at the Strip 2 years ago without the supercharger so it should be in the 11's with it. I went with a Walbro electric fuel pump and a Mallory boost reference regulator, I think they will offer the kit with or without. I believe the target price is under $3000.

Did you talk with Kenny at PTC at all about this car? He showed me a pic of his SB Mopar with a belt driver blower - I think it was a procharger but not sure. He is a Mopar man and his shop is more a race car shop than a converter/tranny shop. I was like a kid in a candy store when I dropped off 6 904s and a converter and will leave with 1 built 904 and a 8" converter plus the one I dropped off to get flushed.

Any thoughts on an inter-cooler? I have a Paxton Sn93 for my duster that needs a rebuild. Plan on less than 8psi boost but trying to decide whether I am going with an inter-cooler or not.

Any thoughts on an inter-cooler? I have a Paxton Sn93 for my duster that needs a rebuild. Plan on less than 8psi boost but trying to decide whether I am going with an inter-cooler or not.

Well, I am certainly no expert on intercoolers, but the things I have read stipulate that below 10 psi, an intercooler is not needed. I would, however, invest in a water/alky injection kit (chemical intercooling) and set it to come on at maybe, 7-psi of boost, ot thereabouts.

My Vortech-inspired 360 Magnum has such a setup and runs okay 0n 93-octane pump gas, although I usually treat her to some av gas for races and dyno pulls. I have 10 pounds of boost.

Good luck!!!

You can turn the meth injection on earlier than 7 psi. The more compression you have the earlier your gunna want to turn it on. For example, A 10:1 motor is gunna need the meth sooner than a 7:1 motor. Your engine will run cooler too since this system not only cools the intake air temps, it will keep your cylinders a lot cooler. Keeping the cylinders cooler will also help you stay away from detonation and can aid in keeping the engines water temps manageable also. A well designed injection system has multiple benefits. Rodney at AIS recommended a 50/50 mix of meth and water for mine but he said on most systems spraying straight water will be sufficient. Any more than a 50/50 mix and the injected potion can ignite and become another source of fuel so keep that in mind when tuning.

Studebaker used Paxton superchargers back in the mid 50's through the early 60's. They even had a 306 cube small block with dual quads and dual Paxtons that put out
504 HP. Here's a link: http://www.paxtonauto.com/article.php?id=5

T.M.M. those are rare,and fun to watch. A few years back at the Pure Stock drags,one of those buggars won it's class.

I want to set my timing to 22 Deg for the first couple weeks and not use a MSD timing retaed
What are the negatives?

-
Back