pecker extender

-
Most Rules Permit 45″ from the Centerline of your Front Spindle to the Nose of your Car with a Minimum of 3'' of Ground Clearance . This is a Much Valuable Length That You Are Giving up at Every Race to get that Margin of Victory At the End of The Race Track.

Jim Yates won at least one Pro Stock championship with overhang. Once it was figured out, he didn’t win much.
If I did one it would be hydraulic or electric and would extend 10 feet from under my car and then retract after I triggered the win light lol

What's the point?
this could be a great joke for sure. the point is if you look at most classic mopars like an a-body they have very short front overhang, like 14" or 32" depending how low they sit. either the tire or the bumper trips the finish beam. now look at a gm car and note how far the front end is out from your tire or bumper and how low the gm's are. the start beams are 3" off the ground and the finish beam is 6" off the ground. all cars trip the stage beams with the front of the tires. the gm's have a finish line advantage with the long front end overhang because the finish beam is 6" off the ground and that is why a pecker extender is a great add on for a-body mopars

The mid-eighties firebird are famous for their long nose overhang, from the factory. When I was racing my tina, front wheel to front wheel with a bird, I would lose by at least two feet. Front overhang on my car is way worse than a A-body.I had to have the driver (me) even with the front fender of the guy in the other lane to get the stripe.
My opel is exact opposite. No rear overhang for weight distribution, but a nice front overhang.

this could be a great joke for sure. the point is if you look at most classic mopars like an a-body they have very short front overhang, like 14" or 32" depending how low they sit. either the tire or the bumper trips the finish beam. now look at a gm car and note how far the front end is out from your tire or bumper and how low the gm's are. the start beams are 3" off the ground and the finish beam is 6" off the ground. all cars trip the stage beams with the front of the tires. the gm's have a finish line advantage with the long front end overhang because the finish beam is 6" off the ground and that is why a pecker extender is a great add on for a-body mopars
That makes perfect sense, thank you Bob

That's a good question
If I was to guess? Nhra didn't want cars with noses out front to lose to car that had the wheels in front, but looked like it was behind.....
It also might have had to do with early dragster body work, or lack of same.
I once saw the answer (on a racer forum discussing this), but I don't remember what the answer was, or where I saw it. Oldtimers is catching up......

Super pecker at Norwalk this weekend
FAF8C127-8707-4BB5-94C6-645BDD8A4DCF.jpeg

your pecker could be about a foot longer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In bracket racing the tech in having a pecker is that you and you alone know you have one. When bracket racers stage both tires hit the beam. A quick glacé over to the other car lines you up with something on their car or dragster. At the finish line your tire doesn’t stop the clock your pecker does so you are appropriately 18 inches ahead of where they think you are.

At the line suspension is at rest, low.
Finish line not so much, - you're front end can be "carried" over the finish line, while under acceleration.

I get that, but why aren't the finish beams positioned lower so that the same piece of the car that broke the stage beams (the tire), breaks the finish beams? Why are they at different heights?

Last edited:
-
Back