Pedal Extensions?

-

matthon

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with, or ideas on, extending all 3 pedals?

My daughter has to put the seat all the way up, and it's not an ideal driving position.

HD pedals, no issues, rebuilt before, going to install bronze bushings.

Bench seat and she DOES NOT want to replace with bucket seats!

I could just get another set and start hacking, and/or getting an aftermarket gas pedal, whatever it takes.

20240207_170335.jpg

20180708_192803.jpg

I bought pedal extensions off Amazon I don’t have any pictures of them. My daughter has been using them for seven years now. She 4’9”. 75 pounds 23 years old. Fairly easy to install. I’ll see if I can find them.

My mom was 5' on a good day.

My dad made a block of wood to go between the gas pedal and the gas pedal pad and another for the brake pedal

He drilled some holes through the metal of the pedals and attached the wood then attached the pad as it would be. Might be some metal on top of the wood to accept the pad. That part I don't remember.
He did this in 1965, it's still there to this day

Btw
They make extensions for the slides to move the seat forward or backwards

I've seen the pedal extensions, not convinced I really trust them on a bb 4 speed. My thought was something more permanent and we both could still just jump in and drive it.

What cars are you using them on?

Geez...I'd be nervous about trusting something on the brake or clutch pedal that was just a block of wood that is zip-tied to the pedal. Those pedals are under the greatest pressure. A through bolt on a 2 to 2 1/2" block may be the limit but it would be somewhat hard to reverse without holes being welded up and pads being replaced.

I have a friend who uses something similar to post#2 In the whole families cars and trucks. They are all little people (politically correct term, I believe.)
My friend uses them in his 12 second 351 pinto. (He was Donald Duck at Disneyland for thirty years).

here's a wild idea, and totally left field approach, but have you thought of using a race style (tilton) swing pedal or pedal box assembly?

granted the time/effort and re-engineering would be a gargantuan ball ache, but would be a tidy install and could potentially be adjusted to better suit both/any drivers.

This whole thing sounds like there are no easy, cheap and non permanent fixes.
The conversions like the dwarves/midgets have adapted to cars would probably work but there is no way that those parts are cheap to get.
Those people really have it rough, it is a tall person's world.
Blocks on the pedals are the cheapest way but there will probably be a few trial and error designs to test before you find something that works.

Last edited:
2010 Lincoln MKX
2014 Ram 1500
Not very comfortable for me when I drive with them. I’m 5’9”. But I did it for a few years.

They bolt down pretty good. I can install in about 5 minutes now and remove in just a few with my cordless ratchet. After a few times you get used to where you had the setting at. Maybe get 1 for gas and 2 brake extensions for the clutch and brake. They have held up pretty well. They are solid metal highly sturdy. Like I said she’s been useing them for 7 years now. Plus she does not sit up on the wheel. She can be arms length away.

How can either of those be uncomfortable? I'm 5'10" and I have a 2007 Dodge 1500. I love that dang truck.

there are several options commercially available. I started out with the block of wood and I have been through several different ones of the purpose made ones.

I have the same problem because I am also under 5 foot but for me even the block of wood worked but you have to be conscience that it is there and be careful how you apply pressure to it. (straight)

In my former 68 dart I had made my own metal extensions with a piece of square tube and I used U bolts.

Worked great but I was the only one who drove the car.

I'm 5' 6" and drive at least ten different cars every day. No problem.

If my daughter wanted to drive my car I would find a way to make it happen. I wouldn't worry about what the next owner had to do to correct it either.

How can either of those be uncomfortable? I'm 5'10" and I have a 2007 Dodge 1500. I love that dang truck.
I’m saying with the extensions on. Short drives around town aren’t too bad but long highway drive get tiresome unless you can move the seat all the back and have arms like an orangutan.

I have a friend who uses something similar to post#2 In the whole families cars and trucks. They are all little people (politically correct term, I believe.)
My friend uses them in his 12 second 351 pinto. (He was Donald Duck at Disneyland for thirty years).
Same here. I have a high school friend who's been using similar homemade blocks for close to 50 years. He had them on his '71 340 4 SPD Cuda, the best car in the school parking lot. He managed to slam shift it just fine.

All jokes aside, I'm just not comfortable with blocks of wood.
Don't think pedal extensions are the best solution.
Tilton swing pedals are probably too time consuming.

Not only is moving the seat all the way up uncomfortable and not ideal, you can't, the shifter hits the bench seat, even with the factory floor stopper, and she does not want bucket seats.

Getting another set of factory pedals, and cutting/welding them to extend them 2-3 inches, seems like a good bet.
I'd have to make sure the geometry stays the same.
I only really need the pedals, not the entire set up, but I doubt I'll find just the HD pedals (just to horde the original parts).

The gas pedal, not sure, I might get an aftermarket gas pedal, as the stock one does not give me full throttle, plus that way I could mount it with a spacer behind it.

I'm not a giant, but I could sit back a few inches and still reach everything.
And this would be permanent, she is the next owner, and wants to feel comfortable driving it now.

-
Back