Performance tire categories?

-

Reaction score
I'm deciding what tires to get for my car 68 Valiant Signet will have about 350 hp 5.9l Magnum, gonna have upgraded torsion bar leafs sway bars Viking double adjustable shocks Not looking for competition tires that got to be stored specially, car will be daily driver type summer may see some Canadian good days spring/fall driving, looking for good grip straight and conners with ok comfort and wet driving, caught in the rain situations.

Far as I can tell I should be shopping in the UHP Ultra High Performance ? Maybe UHP AS ?
Above that seem like competition type tires and below normal tires, most info seems to be geared towards competition tires.

Last edited:
It would help if we knew what diameter wheels, and their widths.
(Harder to find competent 13" tires than 18")
Haven't decided on rim size, not the hugest fan of 17-19 in. rims some do look really good but I do realize 15 in. are outdated when comes to modern tires, not looking for crazy widths 215-225 up front in a 25-25.5 in. dia. and 225-255 in. the rear probably with inch or two bigger dia. same if a must. To me 16 in. are a good balance especially up front maybe with 17-18 in. back but if I had to would run 19 in. all around.

Probably running 2 in. drop spindle since I already have them and stock location leaf with bbp axles for my A body 8 3/4 or swap in the B body axle I got, if I have I'll go non drop spindles and move the leafs 3/4 in.

In short fairly open to do what's needed :)

I would avoid 16s, they are hard to find, though there still are a few performance 16s because of corvettes and camaro z28 oem.
Fifteens are the most popular for drag style tires, but for a performance tire that handles as well as giving decent straight line traction, i'd look for 17s.
They dont look rediculously big like 18s or 19s with no sidewall height (the rubber band tire look) and there are lots more tires that size geared to overall performance than 15s.
I'm running 225/55x17 and 245/55x17s on 7" and 8" rims on my 57 Chevy. Nitto 555 G2. 26 and 27 inch tall.

Last edited:
Go by speed rating, then tread wear rating. I like at least H speed rating and tread wear around 300.

You won't find ANY Ultra High Performance tires in 13, 14 or 15 inch profiles that will fit your car. So you might as well start looking for 16-17" wheels, or resign yourself to "classic performance" tires like Radial T/A or Cooper Cobra, or plain All-Season Touring tires from General, Hankook, and others.

I think you need to figure out what size tires you want to run first. Maybe it is just me, but sure seems like the hard way to do it.

To (kind of) answer your question, after searching on a size, I usually filter on the EPS, MPS, UHPS and maybe HPS. Most of the AS categories seemed to result in tires with a 500+ wear rating and I am looking for more 300ish. In theory, 300 should last a couple of years but be sticky enough, while a 200 wear rating seems like it would probably wear out in a year with a decent amount of driving. I don't usually look at speed ratings as the category seems to filter it down to the higher ratings, but I would stick to H or better if possible.

Some thoughts.

Sticks in my head that dropped spindles limit your offset/backspacing. And that really limits the tire width? I don't remember what the limit is though.

My target for sidewall height is about 4", but it's kind of an arbitrary number. IMO, 4" avoids the rubber band look and still give an aggressive look and a stiff sidewall.

A good all around tire size seems to be a 245/45R17 which has about 4.3" of sidewall and enough wheel diameter to push the wide tire into the wheel well without crashing with the tie rod end. Add that a 17x8 Mustang wheel is cheap and easy to fit and it just seems like the best all around option (IMO). FYI, I have $90 in the 4 wheels '97 GT 17x8 wheels I have.

As a comparison, I found (3) 225/50R15 tire in the performance categories on TireRack and 2 of those look like track tires. Plus, those are a pretty short tire (23.9 OD) and doesn't have any more sidewall than the 17" tire I mentioned above. The next 225 width tire was a 225/60R15 and it had exactly one option, the BFG T/A. A 225/50R16 tire has (18) options, or (29) if you add in the performance AS category. The 245/45R17 has (22), or (42) if you add PAS the category.

-
Back