Pertronics Ignitor III for OEM electronic distr.

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
Hey all,
I see that the Pertronics Ignitor III with built in rev limiter is still only available for points style distributors on Mopars and not for OEM electronic distributors.
I assume the reason is that the electronic systems have all the extra stuff, like ballast resistor and ignition box (with related wiring) and was probably to involved for Pertronics to want to deal with, so instead they came out with the complete billet replacement distributor.
Those distributors with the Ignitor III are a good chunk of change, so I was considering getting an Ignitor III module and modding a factory electronic distributor to accept it.
It should be pretty easy to mod the advance plate to do this.

I would put that together with a 60,000 volt E- core coil so I could still have HEI ignition, but with the user settable rev limiter function.
The Ignitor III has multi spark throughout the RPM range (MSD does not) and digital compensation for electronic lag, so it seems like it would be a good system.

In the end it would have all the good stuff (user settable rev limit, multi spark, lag compensation and HEI) all out of an OEM style distributor and an external coil.

Any thoughts on this?

Tried that.... It did not look that simple to modify the electronic distributer advance plate. Plus it sits to close to the reluctor.

Stuck the III in a points distributer and are pleased with the results.

Wish I could have it in one with the adjustable mech advance though!

How were you thinking you could accomplish this??? Change the shaft??

Tried that.... It did not look that simple to modify the electronic distributer advance plate. Plus it sits to close to the reluctor.

Stuck the III in a points distributer and are pleased with the results.

Wish I could have it in one with the adjustable mech advance though!

How were you thinking you could accomplish this??? Change the shaft??

It did cross my mind that the reluctor might need at the very least a trim down, and I was kinda hoping I could use the OEM electronic distributor.
Not because that's what I have, but that it would work for the people that wanted HEI and a limiter both with a factory looking distributor (as well as adjustable vac) :)

Second thinking the whole thing now.

Thanks for the info.

Aren't they are supposed to be releasing an Flamethrower HEI 3 module that does the same thing ?

I was hoping to mount one in an old Chrome box housing while using your setup to run it incognito .

yeah Pertronix doesn't even show it on their site yet but they where supposed to show it at SEMA . The Summit page says shipping isn't till 12/23/14 .

Yea...thinking manufacturing must have taken some time to ramp up.

yeah Pertronix doesn't even show it on their site yet but they where supposed to show it at SEMA . The Summit page says shipping isn't till 12/23/14 .

Summits site also said shipped on 12/1/14 when I ordered it.

Pertronix appears to be using the point cam for a Hall target. Many things wrong with that. Targets should have abrupt transitions, and be made from anealed steel. The point cam has neither. Expect significant spark timing variation on cylinder to cylinder basis. If they are using optical reflection, problems there too.

My hunch can be verified with distributor machine or engine with 360 degree wheel and timing light.

Pertronix appears to be using the point cam for a Hall target. Many things wrong with that. Targets should have abrupt transitions, and be made from anealed steel. The point cam has neither. Expect significant spark timing variation on cylinder to cylinder basis. If they are using optical reflection, problems there too.

My hunch can be verified with distributor machine or engine with 360 degree wheel and timing light.

It does seem to use the points cam doesn't it?
I was looking at that thinking they must use a cover of some sort for it, but didn't see any mention of one for that specific application.
They sure don't over do it on the information of thier products do they?
Not even any info on ohms ratings or anything, that I could find.

I guess we will just wait and see what they come out with (if they do).

I have had a HEI unit on order for 4 weeks and still have not got conformational it has shipped.

Here is a link to them.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pnx-d72000

I hope that isn't the only style they are releasing, as that is the older 4 pin internal for GM distributors.
I want an internal one for Mopar electronic distributors, but they don't seem to make one.

Like this, but for electronic distributors.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Pertronix/751/71381A/10002/-1

Attachments

• 751-71381A.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 167
I agree w/ Kit (post 10). I think those use reflection off the surface of the points cam to trigger, which seems a bit inaccurate. I recall similar ones in the J.C. Whitney catalog in the 1990's. I bought the Crane Cams XR700 then instead, for my 65 Newport. It is also optical, but uses a plastic slotted wheel that fits over the cam, and claimed 0.1 deg repeatability (still on my Newport, but 1 pickup failed and 1 ECU box failed).

Pertronix doesn't retrofit Mopar e-distributors because no market for that. It is fairly simple to retrofit a GM 8-pin module w/ coil to that, though most went w/ MSD boxes a decade ago. If you want the under-cap Pertronix, it is easy to buy a points distributor cheap. One can also buy a complete HEI distributor cheap for all our engines but a slant.

I agree w/ Kit (post 10). I think those use reflection off the surface of the points cam to trigger, which seems a bit inaccurate. I recall similar ones in the J.C. Whitney catalog in the 1990's. I bought the Crane Cams XR700 then instead, for my 65 Newport. It is also optical, but uses a plastic slotted wheel that fits over the cam, and claimed 0.1 deg repeatability (still on my Newport, but 1 pickup failed and 1 ECU box failed).

Pertronix doesn't retrofit Mopar e-distributors because no market for that. It is fairly simple to retrofit a GM 8-pin module w/ coil to that, though most went w/ MSD boxes a decade ago. If you want the under-cap Pertronix, it is easy to buy a points distributor cheap. One can also buy a complete HEI distributor cheap for all our engines but a slant.

Thanks Bill,
Those are all the same issue's and conclusions I came to.
Kinda odd that some of the Pertronics kits have Hall effect covers for the points cam/reluctor and some don't.
Haven't taken the time to figure out why that is yet.

The irony is that I don't need a rev limiter in the first place, just curious as to what can be done with what is available for people that want one and have OEM electronics.

-
Back