Pertronix---

-

DesertRat

Leading edge boomer
Reaction score
Today I installed an Ignitor kit in my Comet that I have had a couple years and just got around to. Test drove the car and came in and ordered another one for my Barracuda. Hope is goes as well as the Comet install did. I did notice the instructions with my Ford kit dealt with a resistor if one was there so I assume I will keep using my ballast resistor. I am hoping to get away from the rough idle but suspect engine wear and timing chain issues. Anyway, I was impressed with the deal-------Rat

Rat, why did you try the Pertronix in the Comet in the first place, to get away from the points, or to smoothout an idle, or what? I'm curious because I've been considering one. Is your Comet a six or V8? What, if any, differences did you notice?

Cliff:
Naturally having a 289 C4 Comet I post to a ford-specific board as well as this one. The consensus over there is that the pertronix is the answer for smoother idle, easier starting and better mileage for daily drivers like mine. This board seems to be more race oriented so the higher end ignition systems seem to get the ink here. Upon installation, the car started the first time and sounded better, ran smoother and NO MORE POINTS! I can't wait to roat-trip it to the next show.
JMHO-Rat

On my 66 barracuda 273...installed the same...bypassed the resistor as I got the coil with it and it said too....she does start better and idles great. The instructions state to time it after the install..but I don't have a gun yet.

bought the pertronixs from ferd guy on ebay...nice guy from FL.

1wild&crazy guy~ why do you say the don't last very long?

pertronix told me that if i ran their internally resisted coil dor my application, i could get rid of the ballast resistor. so i pulled it off and spliced the wires together. works fine and i done need to worry about the resistor going out.

So----I got my Pertronix kit and studying it I am trying to determine the location to tap the red wire into the ignition side of the ballast resistor. I used my meter to find the ignition switch side of the resistor (2 wires on a plug) but I am unsure where to tap the system. The schematic shows the unregulated power entering the coil of the ignitor (red wire) and the output from the ignitor (black wire) going to the coil. The puzzler for me is the fact that the wire from the low voltage side of the ballast resistor still connects to the coil and I cannot figure out why. Any insight would be appreciated!!!!!!
TIA, Rat

So----I got my Pertronix kit and studying it I am trying to determine the location to tap the red wire into the ignition side of the ballast resistor. I used my meter to find the ignition switch side of the resistor (2 wires on a plug) but I am unsure where to tap the system. The schematic shows the unregulated power entering the coil of the ignitor (red wire) and the output from the ignitor (black wire) going to the coil. The puzzler for me is the fact that the wire from the low voltage side of the ballast resistor still connects to the coil and I cannot figure out why. Any insight would be appreciated!!!!!!
TIA, Rat

The ignitor works best if fed a full 12 volts to power its own switching circuits, and it's OK to splice the wiring anywhere on the ignition switch side of the resistor. The coil itself doesn't get the full 12 volts; it still needs the ballast resistor to regulate its power.

-
Back