Pet door- who's got em" and your opinion?

-

SLOPAR72

Reaction score
I have a new 4 legged friend. A pet door may be a solution for this guy as he likes being outside quite a bit. Never had one of these things and I am considering one with automation so a collar he would wear will trigger the operation of it.

Any opinions or comments are appreciated.....

JW

Should have put a collar on my stepbrat after I found black shoe marks on the wall of the house leading to/from her second floor bedroom window. I guess our pets are more trustworthy.

"Depends." Be sure it is small enough that a two-legged "pet" cannot get in, and it doesn't have to be very big for some of 'em. Also they can let in various other 4 legged strays, including 'coons 'n such

I plan on installing the pet door this summer. During the day,dog can come and go as she pleases. Just close inside door at night.

I have the freedom pet pass. Best dog door I have installed. Zero drafts and stays closed even with 50 mph+ wind gusts. Website is: The world's best pet doors | Freedom Pet Pass
It wasn’t cheap, but it is worth it. Mybyard is fenced so I’m not worried about other visitors coming in.

Thanks..... I have a small area fenced in which I may expand if I do not sell and get the heck out of here lol.... Looks like a quality door.....

Side note- anyone who has never rescued a dog has no idea what they are opening their home for. Priceless my friends, priceless......

Image778656092.jpg

I have the freedom pet pass. Best dog door I have installed. Zero drafts and stays closed even with 50 mph+ wind gusts. Website is: The world's best pet doors | Freedom Pet Pass
It wasn’t cheap, but it is worth it. My backyard is fenced so I’m not worried about other visitors coming in.

Expensive but safe. I had a fenced yard but put one of the cheap doors in..Went downstairs just in time to see a 6 foot Bull Snake coming in. That sucker tried to attack me when I grabbed a broom to push it out.They make some weird noises and are very aggressive . Took the door out and made the dog go out the patio door. :)

We've used several of the less expensive Petsafe doors with no problem. I haven't lived anywhere more than 5 years so I can't speak of their durability. But they have worked well. I even put one (can't remember the brand) in a sliding glass door.

The best move we made! Once they learn to use them, you're good to go!

The only "visitor" we had was a baby opossum. It only took the dogs about 30 seconds to discover their visitor. I scooped it up in a box and took it outside. From then on we closed it at night.

Thanks..... I have a small area fenced in which I may expand if I do not sell and get the heck out of here lol.... Looks like a quality door.....

Side note- anyone who has never rescued a dog has no idea what they are opening their home for. Priceless my friends, priceless......

View attachment 1715152329
All our pets,dogs and cats, have been rescued animals. We been doing it since 1971 and never had a bad one. Can't agree with you more.

"Depends." Be sure it is small enough that a two-legged "pet" cannot get in, and it doesn't have to be very big for some of 'em. Also they can let in various other 4 legged strays, including 'coons 'n such

I know they're made differently now with sensors, but I wiggled through one without any problem when the people left town and forgot to give me the key to get in to feed their little dog. Found the key on the kitchen counter next to a reminder note to drop it off at my house.

So funny,. I was home for lunch one day, and an orange/ white tail went by - it wasn't my cat, but ended up ours. It liked to bring live, and dead things home. The smell usually lead to the recent victims. Went on holiday, neighbor lady phoned to say a small dog had got caught in the door, tore it off, she had to phone SPCA after chasing the dog with door around in the snow in her dressing gown, and couldn't catch it. lol. Moral- expect the unexpected. lol. good luck.

We have a passive large door for our two poochies. Best move for pet access. We have a fully fenced yard
We've had a large door for over 15 years with a large fenced in yard. We love it. We have three dogs and two cats now; have always had at least 2 dogs at a time. We're im a rural area and have only had a stray cat that used to come in tgrough the dog door every now and then - but never critters. Also never had two legged creeps, but the first one that does and is greated by our 170lb french mastff is in for a big surprise!
Btw - my neighbor has an older rf model cat door and our old ornry tom cat figured out how to break in and eat his catfood without an rf collar.

View attachment 1715152329
We've had several rescues of various breeds - couldn't agree more - great experience!

here's a response from someone who lives next door to someone who has one of those pet doors. that damn yapper is allowed to run in and out of that frickin door all hours of the day and night and all it does is bark and bark and bark and bark at the wind the entire time it's outside. I hate that dog and it's owner who has absolutely no common sense or decency to do a damn thing about it. so I went and bought some black cat fireworks and every time it barks I toss one of those little guys out my window at all hours and scare the **** out of it. it works, for about an hour and a half.
yes , I have 3 dogs myself who do not run in and out of a door. they are trained to pee and **** at certain times of the day and night.

-
Back