Photos of an original Space Duster trunk.

-

twister360

Reaction score
I have a 74 Duster with fold down rear seat. When I got the car it had a vinyl storage bag for the jack, an interior finish panel over the rear tail lights and some carpet on the wheel houses. Did the factory install carpet on the inner sides of the trunk? Trying to get mine as it came from the factory. Photos would certainly help.

Thanks Gary

There is carpet on the wheelwells and a black felt glued to the quarter panels. I will post some pics tomorrow.

The quarter panels had a black felt glued on. I will post my pics in a while.

Was there carpet installed on the floor and not the rubber trunk mat? Or was mat under carpet?

Thanks

I just looked at my pictures and they are no very good. I will take some more tonight (and clean the junk out of the trunk) and post them later tonight. As you can see in AdamR's picture there is carpet on the wheel well and the trunk floor. His does not have the felt on the inner quarter panel as mine does. I don't see any signs of glue on the inner quarter panel, so his may not have had any...not sure.

I did attach one picture, you can see the carpet on the wheel well in the center and on the left is the felt hanging on the inner quarter.

Attachments

• IMG-20121107-00355.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 757
Yeah I dont see any signs of anything ever being glued to the inner 1/4s. This car is pretty original too.

I had a 73 Duster identical to the one I have now back in 1978. The car was 5 years old when I got it.. It had the cardboard inserts for the quarters and the tail panel. The rest of the trunk floor and wheel wells were in carpet. So I put this one back the same way. Heres how it turned out. The 3 pieces of cardboard was arounf $60.00, and i will warn you even though it is pre-creased, and the hole is cut for the filler neck you still will have to trim.. The carpet I got at Home Depot, it was an indoor out door carpet. Then I had to make my own pattern and cut to fit.. Hope this helps some...

Attachments

• Trunk 2a.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 646
I had a 73 Duster identical to the one I have now back in 1978. The car was 5 years old when I got it.. It had the cardboard inserts for the quarters and the tail panel. The rest of the trunk floor and wheel wells were in carpet. So I put this one back the same way. Heres how it turned out. The 3 pieces of cardboard was arounf $60.00, and i will warn you even though it is pre-creased, and the hole is cut for the filler neck you still will have to trim.. The carpet I got at Home Depot, it was an indoor out door carpet. Then I had to make my own pattern and cut to fit.. Hope this helps some...

Where did you get the cardboard? My 74 Duster has a molded plastic cover for protection of the tail lights. I have seen an original Sport with the card board trim sides and rear.

I actually got them from Jims Auto Parts. The cost now is $69.99 for the 3 pieces. They are not the easiest people to deal with. There are no instructions that came with them, they're just pre-cut and pre-folded. But it does dress the inside of he trunk up. especially if you have the drop down in the trunk with the fold down seat.. (which mine does..)

Mine had the card board along the tail panel, so it probably had it along the 1/4s too.

Legendary interiors has the kit also

How do the panels go around the filler neck? Can I see some pictures of all 3 panels? Especially the side panels.

Thanks, guys.

How do the panels go around the filler neck? Can I see some pictures of all 3 panels? Especially the side panels. Will these panels work in a car without the fold-down rear seat?

Thanks, guys.

I was given a hard plastic panel for the tail panel section. I will take pictures later.

the dart I currently have and my old one both had the plastic over the tail panel,both with fold down rear seat, and I think they both had carpet glued to the quarters

Heres the plastic panel and bumper jack cover.

Attachments

• 1460124_10202315692631213_71965378_n.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 622
  • 1479175_10202315692671214_2116969508_n.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 426
Man I want one of those plastic covers. Anyone know if they work with the electric trunk release?

Where can those plastic covers be purchased?

Riddler

Man I want one of those plastic covers. Anyone know if they work with the electric trunk release?

Riddler

It fits, but it does make the plastic stick it a lil bit more in the center, and after looking at the pic of mine, I might have to fiberglass it to help hid the release and re-carpet it (someone at one point covered the taillight plastic cover with carpet, I like it better then the bare plastic as it makes it look more finished)

Riddler

It fits, but it does make the plastic stick it a lil bit more in the center, and after looking at the pic of mine, I might have to fiberglass it to help hid the release and re-carpet it (someone at one point covered the taillight plastic cover with carpet, I like it better then the bare plastic as it makes it look more finished)

I installed the plastic cover in my Duster that I took from a fold down car. I also installed an electric trunk release. I had to cut a larger hole in the plastic tail light cover to go around the electric trunk mechanism, I had issues with it not wanting to latch when the cover was pressing up against it. Once the hole for the trunk release is enlarged the cover fits well everywhere else.

I didn't realize some of the fold down cars came with felt instead of the plastic covers.

-
Back