Pickup to pan clearance

-

Trophywa

Reaction score
I have a Milodon pan and pickup, with a Melling HV oil pump. With the gasket on the rails I get 1” from pickup to bottom of pan. What is the best way to get the 1/4”-3/8” clearance Milodon says to put it at? It’s for a 408.

Can't you bend the pickup tube down slightly? or you could weld in an extension to lengthen it.

It's screwed into the pump, right? If so back it off a little. That should bring it closer to the pan.

BTW: IMO the clearance is fine at 1/2" from the pan bottom so even if backing it off a little only brings it to that level it's fine

It's screwed into the pump, right? If so back it off a little. That should bring it closer to the pan.

BTW: IMO the clearance is fine at 1/2" from the pan bottom so even if backing it off a little only brings it to that level it's fine
not me ! 1/4-3/8'' , 3/8 preferably. I didn`t catch what engine tho.

I’ll try backing it out and see where it comes out to. I thought I could bend it but not cold, needs some heat I guess? I did machine a 3/4” piece to weld in just not sure of the ID. Thanks for the replies

Just heat the tube up and bend it a bit. Remember that the clearance will change when the pan is bolted down if you’re checking it with the pan just sitting on the gasket.

Unscrewing it won't bring it down toward the pan.

The milodon pick up has a gaurd on it , 1/2 protruding from bottom of pick up...that decides pan clearance.

swing the pickup down and then push the pan on. Itll push the pickup to zero clearance (minus the gasket) if you want 1/4 clearance, do the same with a piece of 1/4 plywood on the pickup bottom. the NPT should be firm enough to keep its clearance once its forced into position.

Unscrewing it won't bring it down toward the pan.

The milodon pick up has a gaurd on it , 1/2 protruding from bottom of pick up...that decides pan clearance.
I agree it has the guard on the bottom but why don't you think unscrewing it will affect it's height? It's how I set the pickup height all the time

I agree it has the guard on the bottom but why don't you think unscrewing it will affect it's height? It's how I set the pickup height all the time

Tracy, The pick up screws in horizontal to the pan rail, sure you can unscrew it to make it swing angled to the side...but it only straightens or levels the pick up screen head square to the pan...or moves it forward a thread at a time. You have to bend the pick up tube/pipe to bring it down closer to the sump.
I don't like loosening those either because they're pipe thread , they don't stay tight without Teflon once backed out a thread or 4. If it needs straightening, a lot, turn it clockwise around to do so is my advice.

Last edited:
Tracy, The pick up screws in horizontal to the pan rail, sure you can unscrew it to make it swing angled to the side...but it only straightens or levels the pick up screen head square to the pan...or moves it forward a thread at a time. You have to bend the pick up tube/pipe to bring it down closer to the sump.
I don't like loosening those either because they're pipe thread , they don't stay tight without Teflon once backed out a thread or 4. If it needs straightening, a lot, turn it clockwise around to do so is my advice.
Because the pump inlet is offset to the pickup loosening or tightening the pickup will move it up and down in addition to side to side. Maybe I'm lucky but in 35 yrs. of working on them I have yet to have a problem setting the pickup gap level within 1/16" and with the proper gap to the sump floor just by adjusting it. If it's angled front to back that's a different story but I haven't ran into that either. I don't use teflon tape for the reason you mentioned. High temp pipe sealer is what I use and I adjust the pickup height right after installing the pickup in the pump before the sealer sets up

Last edited:
Because the pump inlet is offset to the pickup loosening or tightening the pickup will move it up and down in addition to side to side. Maybe I'm lucky but in 35 yrs. of working on them I have yet to have a problem setting the pickup gap level within 1/16" and with the proper gap to the sump floor just by adjusting it. If it's angled front to back that's a different story but I haven't ran into that either. I don't use teflon tape for the reason you mentioned. High temp pipe sealer is what I use and I adjust the pickup height right after installing the pickup in the pump before the sealer sets up

The pick up wants to to flat and not dangling or at angle, no matter where you set if any pan clearance. I bought and installed a lot of after market pick up tubes and the rest to know. As you said, lucky you.

Btw Teflon is high temp pipe sealant.

-
Back