Pilkington Classics Front Windshields Questions

-
That's a drop ship from the MFG on the 25Th?
I feel sure it is Chinese glass.
And there's nothing "wrong" with that necessarily.
I've got no experience buying new other than B body.
I would pay the extra and get AMD.
(It will have a Pentastar on it. Woopee)
It is a little thicker from my experience.
Can you make up any of the difference in shipping from Buford?
Shipping is high on windshields, isn't it?

Glass - Windshields

One consider is that dark aftermarket tint band on top. Even on “clear” glass.

Some people don’t like the look of that. I pretty sure the repro AMD glass does not have that.

That's the plan....never done front or rear glass before....any advice?, any you tube videos....or older threads?
I like to think of myself as a relatively extreme do-it-yourselfer and that's me thinking of me LOL but anyways two things that I didn't do where the alignment and the windshield. For the $334 installed paid for with warranty and watching those two guys wrestle that thing in for over an hour my advice is saved $334 and watch those guys and thank your goodness Stars you didn't think of doing something so crazy by yourself! I've built my 4 Speed my 904 automatic and other things with great success, but that window looked like it was going to cost me more trying to do it myself. My-2...
Ps- the next time I do a rear end I'm setting that up myself too.

I went with the AMD for my Demon. I paid a guy $100 to install it and back glass. From my research some of the issue you run into is the glass being thinner than original. It can create issues with the fitment. The other thought on my part is that there are some things better left to a pro. If you crack or damage the glass your back to square one. Watching as jpar said I’m glad I pulled out the wallet.

I put one of these in my 68 Barracuda by myself in about 30 minutes. It was cake. 2 guys wrestling for over an hour sounds like they didn't know what they hell they were doing. All I used was one of these:

A12-D063.jpg

And the palm of my hands. Easy peezy.

I put one of these in my 68 Barracuda by myself in about 30 minutes. It was cake. 2 guys wrestling for over an hour sounds like they didn't know what they hell they were doing. All I used was one of these:

View attachment 1715174428

These are rope installs.....I cannot see this install being a big deal.....actually looking forward to this.

Thanks for all the replys

You can do it with a rope, or you can do it like I did. Install the gasket onto the pinchweld, I ran a bead of butyl in the gasket all the way around first. Sit the glass on the bottom of the gasket and get it to seat into the gasket, and then just start working it around with the glass tool and pounding it in with the palms of your hand. It goes really easy that way, and you get a nice seal on the pinchweld with the butyl. After it's all in, and before you run the lockstrip in, run some more butyl between the glass and it's u-channel. No leaks.

View attachment 1715174428

I'm glad things worked out well for you. I don't know the guys personally that did my window it was just a glass company here locally and they didn't do anything that didn't seem unprofessional. I mean I was standing right there the whole time and it looks like a bit of effort. And again I still probably wouldn't try it LOL. Maybe I just had a window break on me before and I bit it so I don't want to go through that again. It was a house window.

Most of the guys doing glass these days aren't the "old timers" and know next to nothing about glass with gaskets, all they do all day long are urethane glue-ins.

Most of the guys doing glass these days aren't the "old timers" and know next to nothing about glass with gaskets, all they do all day long are urethane glue-ins.

You have to Fett them. I hired a local guy and he was very excited to put my front and rear glass back in. I had cleaned the rear up real nice and new AMD front. He was excited and happy to do it. He was very professional and allowed me to assist, if needed again he will be the first guy I call! They are still out there, do the research!

You have to Fett them. I hired a local guy and he was very excited to put my front and rear glass back in. I had cleaned the rear up real nice and new AMD front. He was excited and happy to do it. He was very professional and allowed me to assist, if needed again he will be the first guy I call! They are still out there, do the research!
My experience was kind of the same the guys were kind of happy to be able to do some of the old stuff and we're just taking their time trying to do it right probably why they took a little longer than a half hour. Trying not to make a big mess in my car and stuff like that laying stuff out keeping things clean.

My experience was kind of the same the guys were kind of happy to be able to do some of the old stuff and we're just taking their time trying to do it right probably why they took a little longer than a half hour. Trying not to make a big mess in my car and stuff like that laying stuff out keeping things clean.

One of the things I did prior was to put the gaskets in the car and let them relax for a month before I called him over. He was happy the fences were clear and new and the prep. Made his job easy and it went quick. He wanted pics more than anything. He also left me the tool previously pictured and told me I could have done it as easily as he did!

Last edited:
These are rope installs.....I cannot see this install being a big deal.....actually looking forward to this.

Thanks for all the replys

The guy I hired popped it in with the gaskets in place using a tool as shown. No rope!

Front was real quick, big FB glass rear a little longer but both were popped in with that tool.

You can do it with a rope, or you can do it like I did. Install the gasket onto the pinchweld, I ran a bead of butyl in the gasket all the way around first. Sit the glass on the bottom of the gasket and get it to seat into the gasket, and then just start working it around with the glass tool and pounding it in with the palms of your hand. It goes really easy that way, and you get a nice seal on the pinchweld with the butyl. After it's all in, and before you run the lockstrip in, run some more butyl between the glass and it's u-channel. No leaks.

Sounds like your talking about the Lockstrip type of seal......The original one in the Dart was the heavy rubber seal gasket without the lockstrip.......YES?

I have installed front and rear in a couple of darts with my oldest son who is now 15. No leaks drips or errors. I used 3M butyl, rope, soapy water, and a tool pictured above .Take your time and it will go perfectly fine.

-
Back