Pinging Slantsixdan, et al: how to find parts to populate a Mopar fuse box?

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
Dear Dan or anyone: I apologize that this is not strictly an A-body question, but where can I buy the correct fuse clips and hardware to assemble an NOS part no. 2291593 fuse box (picture attached)? Thank you very much in advance. Retro

new fuse box.jpg

not sure of the fuse box # but I do have a full wiring harness with fuse box from an earley A body barracuda with plenty of fuse ports , of course it would be 50 years old but if your interested please click on my 65 barracuda and call me at the # in my profile leave a message if I don't catch it . I will get back to you asap willing to sell just the fuse box
I have been very buisy with 2 deaths in the family, and another back surgery coming up on the 18 of aug . gl with your prodject HAGR812 winstoninwisc

I have an NOS fusebox only. The holders for the fuses is not thete. They were not included.

looking again and it looks as if you need spade connectors back there.

Upon closer inspection, the only real hardware is the fuse clips themselves, which clip into place. The failure point of the fuse clip is where it is riveted to the spade lug. It loosens up there and becomes a high-resistance connection. I am going to solder my new fuse clips to their spade lugs.

Here's a picture of the fuse clip. I am pretty sure that Larry at Delmar Wire is going to have these. Thanks for all your help, everybody!

When I get the part number for the fuse clips, I'll follow up.

fuse clip.jpg

What went at line in side was bus bar material chopped into desired lengths. This material will have a male spade terminal at every fuse clip even though all are not used/required. Just they way it was made. So... a substitute on line in side in separate single sections would require branching wires or other jumpers where a single wire once supplied up to 3 fuses. Hope that makes sense.

Right, redfish, there are two buss bars built into the p.n. 2291593 Mopar fuse box. One of the busses provides constant power and the other is switched by the ignition switch.

Larry at Delmar Wire advises that he doesn't have fuse clips like these. Would anybody know where to get them?

Right, redfish, there are two buss bars built into the p.n. 2291593 Mopar fuse box. One of the busses provides constant power and the other is switched by the ignition switch.

Larry at Delmar Wire advises that he doesn't have fuse clips like these. Would anybody know where to get them?
Actually there should be 3 separate pieces, a switched, a hot at all times, and a single for illumination.

I think Mopar used a rather unusual kind of fuse clip because it has little ears sticking out from its sides to lock it into the fuse box. I have not been able to find these anywhere.

However, I would really like to upgrade the fuse box by using so-called "Class R" fuse clips that can handle up to 30 amps at 250 volts. Cutler-Hammer makes the clip. I hope to be able to make it work.

class r fuse clip.jpg

If you are not absolutely intent on a resto-correct rebuild, there's a few OTHER ways to go about this. One is to buy a junkyard fuse panel and rework that. Another is people "like" Painless also sell only fuse boxes intended for just this purpose.

Del, I'm afraid that any used fuse box on a 40-year-old car is going to be as crappy as mine is. Plus I've already bought an NOS box.

I wouldn't want to use Painless products because they are too expensive for my taste. I am a cheapskate, and am just going to have to DIY it. Hopefully I'll be able to fix it up better than new.

Take a look at terminal supply company. I'm not saying they have them but they might.

Del, I'm afraid that any used fuse box on a 40-year-old car is going to be as crappy as mine is. Plus I've already bought an NOS box.

Buying a empty NOS fuse box may not have been the wisest purchase but it doesn't have to be a money pit either. Not all Chrysler products got so much corrosion generating moisture in the cabin/ under the dash as the A-body. There surely is a much newer, cleaner fuse box from some other model out there, that you can buy at a reasonable price, to rob parts from. Good luck

Thanks for all the kind replies. I want to replicate the original fuse box, and to mount it in the stock location, but improve it. So I'm going to start with the NOS fuse box that I bought. It only cost about $35.00.

I'm planning to use the Cutler-Hammer "class R" fuse clips. I'm going to install them loosely in the fuse box and then put the fuses in place to hold the clips in the correct position. Then I'm going to wire everything up and solder all the connections. Then I plan to glue the fuse clips in place from the back of the fuse box, using plastic epoxy, while leaving the fuses in place in order to hold the clips in position. Last, I'm going to put conductive paste on the ends of the fuses.

This repair is for my '77 B-200 Sportsman Royal camper van. If the repair is successful, I have another Mopar vehicle ('78 D-300 Adventurer dually) that needs the same repair.

Last edited:
Wow, jeepsterhemi, that's the Chrysler part no. (2290207) that I've been looking for! It sure looks to be close enough to the original for government work! because it has the little "ears" that lock it into the fuse block. And the fact that they have a crimped and soldered connection rather than a buss bar connection is great for me, because I intend to solder the connections anyway. Thank you so much!, esp. because I discovered that I had my head up my woz about the Cutler-Hammer "class R" fuse clips. They are the larger style of fuse clip for AC circuits. So at this point I really appreciate your giving me the Mopar part number.

In Googling the part number, I came across this really neat web page (jholst.net) with a parts catalog for many of the early '60s Chrysler products. Very nicely scanned! I was really interested in it because I've got a '62 Toad resto-rod. Here's a link to the 1963 electrical parts section of the catalog:

http://www.jholst.net/63-parts-manual/electrical.pdf

Love those Mopar parts books with the part numbers on the 'net!! Note to Joey: could we have a sticky that lists all the online Mopar parts books? thank you.

The original part no. 2290207 has been superseded by part no. 03591596, but even the latter part no. is hard to find.

Grainger seems to have fuse clips that could probably be used (we are concerned with fuse clips for "American glass"-type fuses):

Fuse Clips - Fuse Accessories - Grainger Industrial Supply

Littelfuse has probably the best selection of fuse clips:

102_RE Series - Fuse Clips from Fuse Blocks Fuseholders and Fuse Accessories - Littelfuse

One of the Mopar parts men told me that Napa has a Balkamp fuse clip that is a direct replacement for p.n. 2290207/03591596, with the little ears and everything, but I haven't been able to locate it yet on the Napa parts website.

Of course while making this repair I listened to Bob Dylan's "Since I Built My Masterpiece".

P/N 03591596 turned out to be NLA, so I had to refurb my old fuse clips. Cleaned them up and applied silver conductive paste (not dielectric grease) to the ends of the fuses.

All connections are soldered except the main power feeds. I soldered the fuse clips to the buss bars in order to eliminate the mechanical connection that caused the problem in the first place, and put some silver paste in the main feed spade connectors.

You could never pay someone to do this repair to an old vehicle because too much time is involved. If we're going to save these old Mopars, it's gonna have to be strictly on a DIY basis.

new fuse box1.jpg

-
Back