Pink 70 340 Duster goes for $62K on Mecum

-
So you agree that Dan is just giving his opinion.

"any sane person i would take a look at the comps before making a decision on value"
Dan claims to do the very same thing by looking at Marketplace and CL. So, he must be sane and as such; realistic in his assessment.

His opinion does not fit your exclusionary imaginary example so, that's reason enough for the FABO wolf pack to circle around and pounce.

By the way, you forgot to factor in the inebriated playboy with a giant wad of cash trying to impress his new girlfriend with his copious vintage car knowledge. And paying $65k for a '78 Aspen with Roadrunner decals.

Dan is behind the times. Like many people here he seems to think that the prices these cars brought 5, 10, or even 20 years ago is still somehow relevant. They're not. The market on A-bodies has continued to climb, and wishful thinking does not mean you've got enough money to be in the market. 10 years ago the money Dan claims to have would have bought a really nice A-body. Today it will buy an average-ish A-body if you're careful, and a car that might need another $10k in work if you're not.

Just look at the auction. If a Duster Twister with a 318 gets $38k, clearly prices have gone up. Original Twister or not, a 318 car wouldn't have broken $20k regardless in the not so distant past. Maybe $62k for a well done 340 clone is still high, but it will be easy to see. There's a 340 and a 360 Duster going across the blocks today, and 2 real 340 cars tomorrow, one with concours awards. So, if those get more than $62k, well, it wasn't just one drunk rich guy (can't be just one anyway, its an auction so there had to be at least 2). The 360 car will probably really piss off some purists if it gets what I think it might with the prices of pro-touring cars now.

The moulin rouge paint is a factor too, some people want it and there aren't a lot of them out there that color. So again, there's an original 340 moulin rouge car hitting the blocks on Saturday. If the $62k is legit then you'll see that real 340 car in the same color get more.

@72bluNblu and @dadsbee

A couple more guys that get it. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There's a lot of people nowdays with a few brains and a little common sense that know that "you can't build it for that". Labor rates have doubled in the last 10 years. materials have gone crazy. Parts as well.

Last edited:
When was the last time one of these big auction houses had 7 Dusters being sold on the same weekend?

10 bux and a burrito, sorry but that's what the market will bear.
Better be a damn good burrito!! :lol:
1967formulasbaracuda 119.jpg

When was the last time one of these big auction houses had 7 Dusters being sold on the same weekend?
No doubt.
Somehow I can afford 2 A bodies but I can't afford a nice early B body. :lol: :lol:

My point, the nice A bodies are becoming the next collector niche. They are nice cars, fun to drive, and affordable enough for may people to own. (without having to sell body parts or get a second mortgage)

For only 300K more you could have a Hemi Cuda…..
And if I had the money I would drive it like I drove my E Bodies starting in1978 . Let's face it, I am old it's a car. And that's why you get agreed value insurance.

no, dan couched his option as fact, which is frequently his method of attempting to wield some knowledge that he thinks may be useful (fun fact, it frequently is not and almost always flawed to boot). dan is not a realistic person, and has gained any derision on his own merit.

to your last point, i covered that in post #34
Dan might be off base. Whatever. You are missing my point even though you pointed it out in your own post (#34). You said "imagine". You can't base comps on imagined circumstances. (drunk idiot..., mom's old car .....) Certainly, not rational to expect someone else to base their comps on something you imagined. How would they know? That was my point. We can all dream up scenarios but, market value is based on reality. A quasi unique event doesn't define the market, either. From now on will every Pink Duster tribute be worth $62k? Not likely but, it did shape the market.

I don't know Dan or even what he has posted here to "earn derision".
What would have been wrong with saying, "Dan, where are you coming from?. Way off base on your dollars". You accuse him of being high and mighty "Arbitrator". Hmm. wonder why you came up with that word.

@72bluNblu and @dadsbee

A couple more guys that get it. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There's a lot of people nowdays with a few brains and a little common sense that know that "you can't build it for that". Labor rates have doubled in the last 10 years. materials have gone crazy. Parts as well.
exactly, there's a ton of folks that have either owned their cars forever, bought just before the market started to change, don't account for inflation, or bought a project on the cheap years ago and somehow forgot how much it's taken to get it to where it is now.

for instance, paint work is a prime example. paint and body used to be cheap. now with all the new regulations and new products the pricing has gone through the roof. here in CA, we took even more of a hit with the regulations nearly doubling the cost of materials on the switch to waterborne.

used to be i could get a "production" paint job for about 3K and something very nice for about 6~8 with minimal body work. now days, a reasonably presentable job, not show quality is about 7 and that's with very very minimal bodywork.

to bring this back around to the "you couldn't build it for that" let's put it into perspective. that 74 duster from the other day on BAT sold for 6,500 so if you used that as your starting point and you didn't want to build a full tilt show car, just something nice and V8 powered. how far could you get for 15K, or 20?

the answer is not that far. paint and body is gonna set you back an easy 8K, let's keep it simple and just drop in a 408 stroker & 727 fully gift wrapped from blueprint, there's 16 G's. need a rear end, let's call up Dr. Diff or speedway, there's another 3K. headers and exhaust? there's another smooth G out the door. figure some incidentals for the install: radiator, mounts, driveshaft, etc so tack on another 1K in niggling details.

that's 30K plus the purchase price of the car at 6,5 and you're flirting with 40K before you consider suspension, interior and all the little detail things like: rewiring, rims and tires, disc brake upgrades, powdercoating and chrome plating, steering wheel or gauge restoration.

and that's with you doing all the work, so add a few hundred hours of labor in there.

could it be done cheaper, yes. but it's likely not going to be 50% cheaper.

market value is based on reality. A quasi unique event doesn't define the market, either. From now on will every Pink Duster tribute be worth $62k? Not likely but, it did shape the market.
no argument from me there

I don't know Dan or even what he has posted here to "earn derision".
What would have been wrong with saying, "Dan, where are you coming from?. Way off base on your dollars". You accuse him of being high and mighty "Arbitrator". Hmm. wonder why you came up with that word.

if you knew dan and how he communicates you would more understand the response to him.

arbitrator sounded better than king **** crystal ball having knower-er of all things.

no argument from me there

if you knew dan and how he communicates you would more understand the response to him.

arbitrator sounded better than king **** crystal ball having knower-er of all things.
Actually, I don't understand. That's why I'm responding to this thread.
You choose your actions. No one else is responsible for that.

Interesting you picked out another lofty haughty phrase.

I've been to many of the Scottsdale auctions over the years. I'm generalizing a bit but as I have said before, auctions are a great place to sell and a terrible place to buy. I'm guessing that some cars are bought at auctions because its difficult to find private sales on some of the more rare cars and some people have more money than they know what to do with.

i don't understand what your goal is here? admonishing me for busting dan's balls? using the thesaurus? having an opinion?

if you knew anything about me, which you clearly don't, nobody would describe me as "lofty" or "haughty". my language may be colorful and deviate from the general lexicon around here but shouldn't be construed as meretricious. don't mistake malice for what is pure buffoonery.

So, that would mean that the clone 340 car went for about 2/3 of what the "real deal" 340 car went for. Which tracks pretty well with historical trends IMO.

That's a beautiful car, seems to have all the legit documentation too. And $125k into the restoration? Auction prices are always high, but, I don't think they're completely out of whack. Which probably means the next few Dusters in this auction will get that much or more.

Interesting that you attack people that have a reasonably sized vocabulary, but that by itself is not an argument against what @junkyardhero is saying. Let me break it down into 4th grade English since you seem not to comprehend words with more than 2 syllables.

Dan is a troll. He wants a $40k+ car for the less than $20k he allegedly has to spend, and he's nit picked to death nice cars in his budget range that other members here have gone out of their way to suggest to him. He has been trolling this board for years, but will never buy a car.

Now Dan thinks a $62k Duster is insane, but newsflash, it's not. See the $108k Duster sold today as evidence, and the ones that will sell tomorrow for even more money.

Interesting that you attack people that have a reasonably sized vocabulary,
i prefer judiciously appropriate...

*gets hit by bus*

thank you for succinctly summing up the tale of matey dan the man and his voyage of the seven seas

Look at that Black 340 car! it's incredible, and in my humble opinion one of the best muscle car's of the 70's. Worth every penny in today's world. Just try to find one like that.

i don't understand what your goal is here? admonishing me for busting dan's balls? using the thesaurus? having an opinion?

if you knew anything about me, which you clearly don't, nobody would describe me as "lofty" or "haughty". my language may be colorful and deviate from the general lexicon around here but shouldn't be construed as meretricious. don't mistake malice for what is pure buffoonery.
i don't understand what your goal is here?
My goal is manifold. But, in part, it's to understand why a forum thread about a car turns into a figurative jousting tournament.
Someone has a differing opinion or irritating online personality.... full speed ahead, run 'em through!

admonishing me for busting dan's balls?
more along the lines of why someone feels compelled to do that and then blame the target.

using the thesaurus?
Would like for people to do that more often.
having an opinion?
would like for people to do that, but I do find your line of reasoning for your opinion as irrational. (to the extent of this thread only).

if you knew anything about me, which you clearly don't, nobody would describe me as "lofty" or "haughty".
I never described you as "lofty", "haughty", I made an observation about the words you choose. You made it to be a description of you.

i prefer judiciously appropriate...

*gets hit by bus*

thank you for succinctly summing up the tale of matey dan the man and his voyage of the seven seas
:rofl:

Look at that Black 340 car! it's incredible, and in my humble opinion one of the best muscle car's of the 70's. Worth every penny in today's world. Just try to find one like that.

Yeah that's a beautiful TX9 Duster, just gorgeous. And very well documented. Based on how awesome that one is the $62k clone is probably still a bit high comparatively, given all the added touches the TX9 car has.

But still, in today's world where it costs $125k to restore the black car (and that totally makes sense) that pink car probably still cost tens of thousands more to restore than the $62k it sold for. And if that's what it costs to build one, well, it's not surprising the finished ones are selling for what they are.

I mean selling for a $108k and still not making money on it? It's crazy, but I absolutely believe it.

-
Back