piston rings

-

scampy72

Reaction score
hey guys wheres the best place to get piston rings for my 440? also im not sure if its stock bore and i dont have a micrometer, so can someone tell me how big across the cylinders should be for stock bore, +30, etc. etc.

one more thing i cant spend too much right now and i plan on tearing down and overhauling when i get the cash anyway, so please dont send me links to piston rings that are like 100 bucks +

thanks
marc

4.320 stock. you can't mearsure the over sizes with out at least a dial caliper. harbour freight has them for a reasonable price. i have a bunch of mopar ring sets for cheap.

harbour freight? i didnt know they carried things like that

also so if i measure with a ruler stock bore should be what like 41/4 in?

no is a great answer but can you be more specific? i know buy a caliper, in that case quick instructions on how to read one? what would stock bore be? everywhere i look there isnt 4.320 rings so please help. i already have the engine and gaskets and everything to put it together but i know i should put new rings on first so.... also while im at it how about connecting rod bearings?

Rock auto has std 440 rings for about $26. Rod and main bearings are pretty cheap as well. Buy yourself a set of verneer calipers and learn how to read it. Simply throwing rings and bearings in an engine is not the best way, but it can work for a lunk like a mild 440.
If the engine runs now, I would check compression and oil pressure before I ripped it apart. Visual inspection is everything.

enigine was bought torn down and waiting to be built. but definately not with all new parts.

Parts and tools cost what they cost. You can't measure with a ruler. You can go buy a cheap vernier and find out, ot bring the block to a shop and give them a 12pk of beer.
A cheap ring set goes from $40-50 on up. I'm guessing you'll also need to buy a flex hone or the new rings wont seat anyway.

Parts and tools cost what they cost. You can't measure with a ruler. You can go buy a cheap vernier and find out, ot bring the block to a shop and give them a 12pk of beer.
A cheap ring set goes from $40-50 on up. I'm guessing you'll also need to buy a flex hone or the new rings wont seat anyway.

and a ridge reamer too.

-
Back