Pistons

-
I was joking on flipping the heads

I'm not trying to be an ***, but the pistons are installed incorrectly in the picture. If your quench domes are towards the outside wall of the block, they should be towards the valley, where the open chamber side of the heads are. Look through the spark plug holes and you would see the quench domes, if the pistons are installed as shown in your picture above.

I’m listening to you. I did not assemble the motor. Sent a message to the builder to ask if he flipped them. Not making excuses for him or the piston orientation. Will have to clay them for sure for quench dome clearance.

No need to clay them, bighead is right. They are backwards. The quench area faces away from the plug. That's the whole purpose. To create quench of course, but also to direct combustion gasses toward the plug for more complete combustion and toward the exhaust valve as well. The way they are installed, will do the exact opposite and possibly create a catastrophic engine failure. That would suck.

bighead is a noted Mopar racer and expert in this part of the woods. He would not steer you wrong.

I am not disagreeing one bit. When I first looked at my own picture it was hard for me to tell where the quench dome was and wasn’t. I enlarged it and could better see the slightly raised flat spot. I pulled a few diagrams from UEC and sent them off to the shop as well. In regard to the clay on the pistons I had two sets of heads done. What I was concerned about was that these pistons sat about flush to the top of the hole. Seeing that slightly raised area and then orienting it to the center of the block it looks like it would be tight enough to double check the clearance. Thanks to you both for the feedback and Happy Thanksgiving.

I am not disagreeing one bit. When I first looked at my own picture it was hard for me to tell where the quench dome was and wasn’t. I enlarged it and could better see the slightly raised flat spot. I pulled a few diagrams from UEC and sent them off to the shop as well. In regard to the clay on the pistons I had two sets of heads done. What I was concerned about was that these pistons sat about flush to the top of the hole. Seeing that slightly raised area and then orienting it to the center of the block it looks like it would be tight enough to double check the clearance. Thanks to you both for the feedback and Happy Thanksgiving.

You too and good luck with it. At least now, although you will have to do some disassembling, you will be disassembling whole parts, instead of a lot of broken stuff. lol

bighead deserves the credit. He's been following your build(s) and has a sharp eye. He's a good dude.

Went back and made sure they were installed according to the instructions from KB website. Runs like a raped ape. Ever hear of any of those other configurations under Chrysler on this chart? Finished putting the 360 in this thread together as well and ran it. Used a Holley carb on it and shot a quick video while fiddling with it. That turned out to be a nice motor as well.

B9AAEB73-A025-4771-95E8-2A28FDA44E67.png

I caint let this go. Your pistons are in WRONG. Look at the valve arrangement on your cylinder heads.

The valves are arranged as follows:

E, I, I, E, E, I, I, E

Now, look at the arrangement of the valve reliefs in your pistons.

E, I, E, I, E, I, E, I

The valve reliefs should match up with the valve arrangement of the cylinder heads. Yours DO NOT.

Now, look CLOSELY at the diagram YOU posted from United Engine. Those reliefs are arranged E, I, I, E, E, I, I, E just like yours SHOULD BE, but ARE NOT.

Now, if you continue to argue after this, you deserve whatever you get.

I’m not sure why you are going off on me. In my first statement after getting a new gasket set I said went back to the builder and made sure they followed the diagram. Not that I was arguing they were correct. It was a pain in the *** to ask for a motor to be torn down but like I said before it was cheaper than it detonating. I ran it after it was put back together and did not note any issues, but am not an expert. I listened. I asked the builder to correct. I provided the diagram. I moved on and asked if anyone had ever heard to those other Chrysler configurations. I do find it interesting that you can choose to not let it go on here. Apparently bighead440 thinks I ignored his recommendation too, but did not. I handed the info off and asked for it to be fixed and that is what I expected happened. I have said a million times on here I am learning, and I do.

:rofl:Rusty, you guys are close enough, just drive over there and stick a bore scope in it to verify for youself. Im sure there would some interfernce by now if they were still in reversed.... easy boys lol

I’m not sure why you are going off on me. In my first statement after getting a new gasket set I said went back to the builder and made sure they followed the diagram. Not that I was arguing they were correct. It was a pain in the *** to ask for a motor to be torn down but like I said before it was cheaper than it detonating. I ran it after it was put back together and did not note any issues, but am not an expert. I listened. I asked the builder to correct. I provided the diagram. I moved on and asked if anyone had ever heard to those other Chrysler configurations. I do find it interesting that you can choose to not let it go on here. Apparently bighead440 thinks I ignored his recommendation too, but did not. I handed the info off and asked for it to be fixed and that is what I expected happened. I have said a million times on here I am learning, and I do.

I chose not to let it go in the hopes of helping you avoid a possible disaster. I didn't go off on you. I am trying to get through to you that your pistons are not installed correctly.

But never fear. I am done this time.

Ok dave, lets back up. the .030 440 that you had built... with the KB quench dome pistons.... I'll assume the block was decked and you are running a .040 cometic gasket right? So the actual dome height from summit says the dome is .075 tall, assuming you zero decked the non dome side of the piston, so minus the .040 compressed gasket that leaves you a true .035 of dome going above the deck. Id still get a bore scope from Harbour frieght just to be sure. If you pump up the HYD lifter at high RPm stuff could start touching.... not on the dome side but the Non- valve notched side of the piston. Just trying to be helpful, NOT KNOCKING ANYONE here. peace, love, and fried chicken for all!

RRR & Bighead440 are trying to keep You from grenading the next one that shows up put together F*#KED-up. It's not enough to say "well sumbuddy tole' Me it's wrong,
check it out", You need to know why and spot it first Yourself. The last pic in post #20 clearly shows pistons in cyls. 2&8 are swapped, 6 is correct, if those are for those
style heads i.e. open chambers vs the pics of the closed chambers, and can't see #4.... You're only lucky the valve lift if run like that didn't put the valves close enough to
to really need those reliefs,..........................otherwise it'd been over before it started. Not trying to be smart, but that is an obvious oversight upon assembling an eng.,
which You appear to be doing a lot of..............................

Until Rob pointed out the valve relief problem, I hadn't noticed that error-LOL, but what caught my eve was the quench dome being towards the outside wall instead of the valley where it belongs. Quenching the spark plug? Hope your builder corrected this, I guess we won't be happy until we see a glory picture with the pistons in there correctly. Hehe

Until Rob pointed out the valve relief problem, I hadn't noticed that error-LOL, but what caught my eve was the quench dome being towards the outside wall instead of the valley where it belongs. Quenching the spark plug? Hope your builder corrected this, I guess we won't be happy until we see a glory picture with the pistons in there correctly. Hehe

Glory picture? Is that like a glory hole? nah, probably not. lol

OK, the machine shop assembled the bottom end and sent it to You, You had assembled the rest, then sent the whole thing back for them to fix? Yeah, the valve reliefs
definitely were not only facing the wrong way along with the open chamber squish domes, but the reliefs weren't even the correct orientation for valve positions I&E.
Someone was having a rough day......

-
Back