Pit bull....

-
I grew up with many generations of black Labradors and am surprised how many times this breed has been brought up
in this discussion. They were always inteligent,calm and lovable.
If there is a dog breed that I care the least for I would have to
go with the German Shepherd. Always seemed to be a schizoid breed like it would prefer to not be around or dependant on humans and much to eager to bite a human. Always unnerved or something.
It is the only breed I have seen that majority acted like it didn't care to be mans best friend.
I love dogs but I agree that not all make good pets.
Growing up in a rural farm comunity all our dogs were
strays that just showed up and stayed, lived outside. Most were good dogs. The ones that weren't right got a bullit.
No one ever got bit on our property.

:

"Uh, no domestic dog is a "natural" breed. They have all been bred by humans, and for thousands of years."

THANK YOU for helping me to make the point! Of all the popular breeds out there, we have hunting dogs, watch dogs, cattle dogs, lap dogs, etc. They have all been bred to have specific traits and characteristics, most of which can be made into great family pets. Oddly, and just a side point, a lot of the best dogs out there are mutts. Heinz 57 variety. But have a read here about the traits and characteristics that were carefully and deliberately bred into this particular breed, "pit bull" dogs:

"Pit bull is the common name for a type of dog. Formal breeds often considered of the pit bull type include the American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, and Staffordshire Bull Terrier.[1] Many of these breeds were originally developed as fighting dogs from cross breeding bull-baiting dogs (used to hold the faces and heads of larger animals such as bulls) and terriers.[2] After the use of dogs in blood sports was banned, such dogs were used as catch dogs in the United States for semi-wild cattle and hogs, to hunt and drive livestock"

Source: Wikipedia.

If dog in above video was a Pit do you think the cat would have saved the boy?
My buddy has a Pit and she is a lovable ***** BUT he has no kids gf or anyone else at home.
If I can use an anology what would you rather get shot with? Me I'll take a pea-shooter as opposed to 357/Pitbull.
like I said we adopted out our 8yr old Black Lab..he nipped about 6-7 times and some pretty aggressive. Kids n Lori didnt want to get rid oh him a few years back
I said "fine you are adults and its your skin"
Now since the arrivals of 3 grandbabies. They no longer had a say.
No-one can predict a dog no one
Good luck Doug

My "pit"/dalmation is scared crapless of our cat. The dog weighs 60 lbs, the cat 9 lbs. I have personally witnessed the cat chasing the dog around the house.

As for that incident, who knows.

Hey Bryan, I really meant it when I said "no offense to people that own these dogs" and I certainly did not intend it offend. Also, no evidence?? The local paper here carried the story about the death of the child by means of a pit bull that went psycho.

"Any dog can act like a dog" < I don't really know what you're trying to say here. Yes, all dogs are canine; but a poodle, as far as I know, has never mauled a child and shook its lifeless body so violently that it's splattering blood all across the room.

If you are of the belief that a pit is no more of a risk than any other breed of dog, you're crazy. I hated to get rid of mine at the time, I was very attached to her. But I could simply not live with the fact that something generally goes wrong occasionally, and people, usually kids, are severely injured or killed. By a pit bull. That is exactly why:

In 2013, Farmers Insurance notified policy holders in California that "it will no longer cover bites by pit bulls, rottweilers and wolf hybrids. A spokeswoman for Farmers said those breeds account for more than a quarter of the agency's dog bite claims."

I know you are going to stand by your decision, and your right, to have pit bulls as your pets, and we are likely never going to agree on how we feel about the breed. Yes, they are dogs, but much different than most breeds.

Story of a Poodle attacking a child

http://www.wboc.com/story/10769319/girl-7-hospitalized-after-poodle-attack

Story of a Poodle attacking a pit bull

http://wtkr.com/2012/05/29/poodle-attacks-pit-bull/

story of a Husky killing a baby

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/17/dog-kills-baby-husky-pittsburgh_n_1285099.html

Rottweilers attack 8 year old

http://wtvr.com/2015/05/07/just-kill-me-8-year-old-screams-after-hero-saves-him-from-rottweiler-attack/

story of a Golden Retriever attacking its owner

http://www.orilliapacket.com/2014/08/27/dog-attack-victim-recovering-but-heartbroken

German shepherd attacks toddler

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/German-Shepherd-Attacks-Central-Texas-Toddler-303006621.html

story of a golden retriever/lab mix killing and dismembering a baby

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/months-infant-mauling-dog-attack-mcgrew-home-article-1.1237732

Rottweilers killed more people from 1991-1998 than pit bulls

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=95747

5 year old attacked by labrador, SAVED BY PIT BULL

http://www.wptv.com/news/region-c-palm-beach-county/lake-worth/5-year-old-bitten-by-labrador-recovering-says-her-pit-bull-saved-her-from-being-seriously-injured

Any dog big enough to do you harm can be dangerous, period. If you think the family lab isn't a dog and won't act like one, you're simply uniformed. Dogs are dogs.

Want some actual facts?

-More than 70 percent of all dog bite cases involve unneutered male dogs.
-An unneutered male dog is 2.6 times more likely to bite than is a neutered dog.
-A chained or tethered dog is 2.8 times more likely to bite than a dog who is not chained or tethered.
-97 percent of dogs involved in fatal dog attacks in 2006 were not spayed/neutered:
-78 percent were maintained not as pets, but rather for guarding, image enhancement, fighting or breeding.
-84 percent were maintained by reckless owners&#8212;these dogs were abused or neglected, not humanely controlled or contained, or allowed to interact with children unsupervised.

https://www.aspca.org/fight-cruelty/dog-fighting/breed-specific-legislation

"Pit Bulls" are more likely to be abused or mistreated than any other breed of dog. That fact alone explains why more attacks are attributed to pit bulls. Their popularity among criminals and low life's has continued to rise, and as a direct result so have the incidents of attacks. In most (not all) cases, the real fault belongs to the owner of the dog. With proper training and care they are no more dangerous than any other kind of dog.

"Pit Bulls" are more likely to be abused or mistreated than any other breed of dog. That fact alone explains why more attacks are attributed to pit bulls. Their popularity among criminals and low life's has continued to rise, and as a direct result so have the incidents of attacks. In most (not all) cases, the real fault belongs to the owner of the dog. With proper training and care they are no more dangerous than any other kind of dog.

In the 50s/60s, "Police Dogs" (aka German Shepherd Dogs) had the bad rep, then Dobies got popular with the wrong sorts and became the 'dangerous' breed in the 70s/80s - Rotties came next in the 90s, and it's been Pits ever since.

In my observation, whatever breed gets popular with the 'tough guys' (bikers, gangs, whatever) ends up with the bad rep, mostly due to irresponsible people (breeding for traits other than temperament, mistreatment, training for aggression, etc.)

We've had one or more of all of these types (all but one rescues, all neutered, all great dogs).

In the 50s/60s, "Police Dogs" (aka German Shepherd Dogs) had the bad rep, then Dobies got popular with the wrong sorts and became the 'dangerous' breed in the 70s/80s - Rotties came next in the 90s, and it's been Pits ever since.

In my observation, whatever breed gets popular with the 'tough guys' (bikers, gangs, whatever) ends up with the bad rep, mostly due to irresponsible people (breeding for traits other than temperament, mistreatment, training for aggression, etc.)

We've had one or more of all of these types (all but one rescues, all neutered, all great dogs).

yea, I quoted my opinion. but your b.s. doesn`t alter a true fact. the pitbull jumped on the kid that was laying in the floor watching tv from behind, for no reason, they played, and were raised together for most of both their lives . don` give a dam weather you believe it or not! :finga::finga::finga:

Exactly. In the articles I linked above you can actually see that Rottweiler's were the "deadliest" dogs from 1991-1998. This directly corresponds with a spike in their popularity with irresponsible folks using them for their "tough" image. And no doubt a spike in their being raised conditions that can create dangerous dogs (staked or tethered, unnuetered, abused or mistreated, used as guard dogs etc).

The most dangerous dog is one that is mistreated. Because Staffordshire's are currently the most mistreated, they have the highest number of incidents of attacks. If golden retrievers were frequently left staked down in yards on chains and used a guard animals, they would have the highest number of incidents. Simple as that.

yea, I quoted my opinion. but your b.s. doesn`t alter a true fact. the pitbull jumped on the kid that was laying in the floor watching tv from behind, for no reason, they played, and were raised together for most of both their lives . don` give a dam weather you believe it or not! :finga::finga::finga:

Right. A single incident involving a single dog, which might or might not be genetically a "pit bull". And my "BS" is supported by evidence, in the articles I already posted, that you have refused to read. Again, if you want to remain ignorant on the subject, I can't change that. But it doesn't mean that your poorly informed opinion has any weight.

I never said the incident you listed didn't happen. But to condemn an entire breed based on the actions of one dog is simply irrational.

By that "logic", and the articles I posted above detailing other incidents, Golden Retrievers, Poodles, Rottweilers, and Lab mixes should all be similarly condemned. Raising dogs in conditions of neglect and mistreatment tends to create dangerous dogs. Pits are statistically the most mistreated, so it should directly follow, and it does, that they currently lead the statistics for attacks. It is not the breed, it is their environment, and perhaps a small percentage of aggressive dogs. But that small percentage of aggressive dogs can and does occur in any breed, just like the golden's, labs, and even poodles that I posted above. If I had a dollar for every time a chihuahua tried to attack me at work I'd be laying on my own private beach somewhere...

I believe the dog that is most likely to bite someone is the Dalmatian. I saw a show on Animal Planet that claimed they are genetically predisposed to hearing problems and are easily startled. But everyone will walk up behind a Dalmatian before they will a pit bull.

I would think the debate here is enough to answer any concerns about buying a pit bull. For me they're just not worth having anymore.

My Jack Russel Terrier will bite if provoked, especially if you grab him or startle him. All dogs will bite, from Chihuahuas to Mastiffs if startled or mistreated.

I'm part of the 'all dogs can bite' crowd. I didn't see it specifically mentioned, but dogs, as a rule, are very aware of the disposition of people they encounter. The phrase 'they can smell fear'. Go up to most any shepherd, lab, pit, dobie, rotty, poodle, chihuahua, whatever.. in their yard and show fear.. My bet is you're gonna get bit. some bites just may be a bit more extreme.

I've been around dogs all of my 52 years and people say I'm 'one of those dog people'. dogs who seem to hate everyone, tend to take a shine to me. It's usually not hard to tell if a dog is barking at you just to say Hello or if he wants you for lunch. Pit bulls, while not my favorite breed, have been very little trouble to me (was even owned by a pit/lab mix years ago). Irish Setters, on the other hand, have drawn more of my blood than any other breed.

I believe the 'dog went crazy and ate someone events', while real, are VERY isolated (yet no less tragic or devastating) occurences. In these cases, any breed over about 40 pounds can kill a child or elderly person.

I have one of these 'Suspect Breeds', a German Shepherd. Sure looks like a sweet little thing huh? But make no mistake, she could do some damage if a person with ill intent entered her home.

If i got to raise them from a pup, there's no particular breed i would worry about. Just raise 'em right and spend LOTS of time with them.

Attachments

• smile.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 148
  • ol' girl.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 151
  • Belle.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 159
Totally agree Ben. People need training around dogs more than dogs. If you show fear you are prey plain and simple, if you run from a dog they will chase as you have shown once again you are prey and if they are big enough they can make you prey. You need to act like an alpha even if your terrified stand and stare the dog down, your less likely to get bit.

My Jack Russel Terrier will bite if provoked, especially if you grab him or startle him. All dogs will bite, from Chihuahuas to Mastiffs if startled or mistreated.

The Dalmatian, according to The Animal Planet, is more likely to bite someone as it can be more easily startled. And no, not all dogs will bite if startled. Alot of them haul *** and some will circle around to wind it's threat, then decide what it should do. The majority of dogs I've unknowingly slipped up on hauled ***, there were a few that immediately went to me.

Ben now that you mention it the Setter has been the worst for me too, second worst was the pointer. Really the fiest was but they don't count.

Wish I could find the time to read all the comments, have some questions about them.
I still haven't called my insurance agent.
Wife has spent some time looking, seems like most of the breeders breed certain traits into their pups. Not looking for one of the genetic freaks...not looking for a cinder block of a head on legs...
Really hoping to find a local breeder....
Went to a small dog event over the weekend. Spoke to a woman that has 2 Pits...the one she had with her was very calm and quiet. She has had the 2 of them for 7 or so years...never a problem with them...other than they both have allergies.
Spoke to a trainer about them. She told me that canines have several cycles in their lives. To better help explain this....
Azul, one of Redbone Coonhounds, was spayed when she was 6 months old. After the first surgery she remained her fearless self. Approaching a year of age she went into heat. Vet had an ultrasound done, a small piece of ovary was missed. Second surgery was done. Took 4 hours or so. Vet actually had to remove her stomach.
Now she is fearful of EVERYTHING. Prior to second surgery neighbor would be shooting, Azul would be at the fence, barking. After the second surgery, one gun shot and she is trembling for hours. Trainer said that canines have 2 "fear cycles" in their lives. One at 3 months, the at around a year. She thinks that there must have been a loud noise at some point during her second surgery, and that this loud noise triggered a fear response.
She went on to explain that, in most dogs, this aggressive temperament can be "learned" by any breed if exposed to the right stimulus at the right time.
Have been around Blue/Red Heelers.....Australian Cattle Dogs....since 1994. Have had several folks tell me I was nuts for having them. They are aggressive, thick headed with the jaw strength of a "Pit bull". That they are known to bite....
Have had zero troubles with either one. Max, the male, did go after me once. I was rough housing with him and thought we were done...well he wasn't. Queenie, the female, was a bit of a nipper when young. Ernie stuck 2 fingers down her throat...solved that issue. Both did go after our feet for a while....well, they ARE herding dogs after all. We broke them of it, as far as trying to herd humans. Queenie took to herding the Coonhounds around. Now it is kind of funny to see one the Redbones going after the others feet in an attempt to herd her.
I quest my point is ANY dog can learn a behavoir. Which is why I will not go get a pup from a shelter.....have no clue as to the history of it. I may be wrong saying the last statement but it is how I think about it so...
Again, would like to thank you folks for your opinions. I would also like to express my gratitude to the folks who provided data on addition to their comments...

hellers are a favorite cattle dog in this "cattle area". many ride up in the pickup cab. its a known fact ya don't want to get in that guys truck.( without the owner). that suck will have you for lunch!
and realize dogs are like people, they might be full brother or sister but their personalities can be completely opposite. one dog timid the other aggressive. and a dog by nature is possessive and protective of hat he considers his territory or possessions.
people have to remember a dog is an animal and can be at times unpredictable.
same way with a horse. he might have a million miles on him and you would trust him with your life, BUT he is 1200 pounds, and ya never know when something can happen. I regard them as such in mind.

After being attacked by by neighbors pit bull more or less than ten feet in my own yard last year and costing me over 1500 dollars in hospital bills. the rabies shots were around 5200 with out insurance. I would put every last one of them down if i could.Also before the day i was attacked i had never seen that dog before. I had to get the shots becasue it was over the 2 year mark from its last rabies vaccinations.

Going to look at a 4 month old puppy next Saturday. Present owners simply don't have time for her...both work and have 3 kids. Pooch spends to much time in its kennel....

Good luck, Doug. Maybe that's the one.

Good luck, Doug. Maybe that's the one.

all this being said, the worst dog I ever was around was an unusually large pointer bird dog. he got up out of the back of the p/u camper , stretched his legs, and jumped on my dad (riding in the front of home made camper), went completely nuts. he would come and go like that. won`t tell you what happened to him ! I had a big Rottweiler, wasn`t tied up, roamed a 1 acre yard. he was a great watch dog, if he didn`t like you, you ain`t coming in my yard. if he liked you, come on in . think he could tell a persons intentions or demeanor or something. clean up helpers from louisianna up here for ice storm clean up a few yrs back, he wanted to get to them thru the 6 ft chain link fence, next day an insurance adjuster came out to survey the damage, dog let him walk right in. go figure!

I believe the dog that is most likely to bite someone is the Dalmatian. I saw a show on Animal Planet that claimed they are genetically predisposed to hearing problems and are easily startled. But everyone will walk up behind a Dalmatian before they will a pit bull.

How well do you know Dalmatians?

Dalmatians WILL bite a stranger if not approached properly. They are very protective of their homes and family.

They WON'T BITE their family and will put their life on the line to protect them...

They were bred to be watch/guard dogs for centuries. They became coach dogs, which included keeping rodents off the path so they didn't spook the horses back in the horse and buggy days, then were trained to sit by the back wheel of the coach to protect it from getting stolen by strangers...

I had a deaf one once that never had the ear drums form. He was a great dog, but would bite a stranger. You would have a hard time sneaking up on him, as his peripheral vision was very keen.

But they are not for everyone. They can be particular sometimes and you need to know how to work with them or they will take advantage of you. Every time Disney comes out with a 101 Dalmatian movie, there are lots of people who go out and adopt one, only to have difficulty handling them and then the dogs end up in the humane society. That's why there is a Dalmatian Rescue to help keep them from getting euthanized until they can find them a better home...

I was born and raised with Dalmatians and never had a bad one. We've had a Dalmatian in our family since 1948.. I'm on my 9th one now... I will get another one when he's gone.

The top picture here is me and my first Dalmatian when I was seven years old. When we were young, the neighbor's German Shephard bit my brother when he was 5 years old. She snuck out of the house and beat up that shephard that was twice her size for biting one of her kids. That shephard would run and hide behind her house after that when my dad had our Dalmatian in the front yard...

They are not for everyone. You have to know how they think to stay ahead of them or they will take advantage of you. There are many myths about them, some of them are true, some are not...

View attachment Bedtime.jpg

View attachment Pepper.jpg

View attachment Buster.jpg

View attachment 012_crop.jpg

This is a big smile, not a snarl...

He's in trouble and trying to con his way out of it (by being cute) with a smile...

View attachment 015_crop.jpg

View attachment 046f.jpg

View attachment SkylarFritz.jpg

View attachment Sky 1.jpg

I don't know anything about them. I got that info from the animal planet. They had a show on dogs that are most likely to bite someone. It stuck with me cause I was surprised they claimed a Dalmatian as #1. I was expecting it to be some kind of Russian Wolf Hound but not a Dalmatian. But if animal planet said it then it must be true same goes for MSNBC.

I'll tell you a Dog that will bite any chance it gets....A chihuahua....those little buggers are fearless but are so small it only hurts for a little while and they are not deadly like big dogs.

-
Back