PITMAN ARM CLEARING HEADERS

-

greyghost340

GreyGhost 340
Reaction score
I have a 1973 Dodge Dart 340 car with manual steering. I am having trouble finding a Pitman arm that will clear the driver side header. I am using Hooker headers (#5204, each header comes in two pieces). I ordered a factory replacement Pitman Arm from AutoZone and it’s too long resulting in the Pitman arm hitting the header. If it was shorter, it would clear. Anyone know of a shorter Pitman arm that will clear these Headers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Get new Poly or steel replacement engine mount insulators? I had that problem with a car and the rubber insulators were soft causing the engine to be in the wrong location. Just a suggestion of something to look at.

Had same headers in a 69, used solid mounts. The pitman arm was from a BB Dart. Grease fitting would drag on the header tube, after greasing I would take it out and put in an allen head set screw. It was flush with the surface of the arm. Great headers!

Had same headers in a 69, used solid mounts. The pitman arm was from a BB Dart. Grease fitting would drag on the header tube, after greasing I would take it out and put in an allen head set screw. It was flush with the surface of the arm. Great headers!
69 has a different pitman arm the nut faces up on a 73 it faces down. I have a set of 2 inch headers on my car , I altered my headers to fit the 67-72 pitman arm. Come to find out if I would have used the 73 style pitman,idler and center link they would have worked out of the box.

-
Back