Pitman arm interchange

-

69GT

Reaction score
Will a 73-76 manual steering pitman arm fit on a 69 power steering box? I see they are both listed as small sector but just want to be sure before I purchase the pitman arm for my 69 ps steering box.

they Bolt to the centerlink differently. Choose the one that you need for you centerlink orientation.

Thanks but I'm aware of that. I want to switch to 73-76 style steering linkage on my 69 Dart. I have a 73 center link and idler arm to use but have to get a pitman arm. However, my power steering box is the original to my 69 Dart. So, I need to know if I were to purchase a 73-76 manual steering pitman arm if it will fit my 69 p.s. steering box. I have read the steering box splined shaft is the same diameter of the i.d. of a 73-76 manual steering pitman arm, just want to confirm this before I purchase a pitman arm.

Nope. There are 4 pieces that matter. You must have the correct steering box to fit the pitman that matches the center link, and then the correct idler arm

Will a 73-76 manual steering pitman arm fit on a 69 power steering box? I see they are both listed as small sector but just want to be sure before I purchase the pitman arm for my 69 ps steering box.
Yes, if you're converting your '69 P/S car to the '73-6 steering linkage, the '73-6 manual steering pitman arm is the one you want.

Yes, if you're converting your '69 P/S car to the '73-6 steering linkage, the '73-6 manual steering pitman arm is the one you want.
Thanks. Just to be clear, that would be still using my 69 P.S. box, correct? I don't want to change my steering box to a 73 style if I can avoid it as it would be a lot of work with the confined space in that area. I've been getting a lot of conflicting information on this subject so I just want to be sure before I go and buy a pitman arm.

Yes, small pitman on '69 P/S box, and small pitman '73-6 manual steering box. The '73-6 P/S boxes were the ones that went to the large pitman......like the C-bodies all had and the other body styles went to that year. The A body manual boxes stayed small pitman.

Thank you. That's what I was hoping to hear. Now maybe I can get my steering linkage finished. Just have to get a pitman arm.

This.

I have a small sector power steering box on my ‘71 dart, it has a 73+ manual steering pitman arm with a ‘73+ center link and idler.

Nope. There are 4 pieces that matter. You must have the correct steering box to fit the pitman that matches the center link, and then the correct idler arm
Does anyone have part numbers for these parts or a website where I can find them. I converted to power steering changed the pitman a to match, now the drag link doesn't work, I may need the idler arm also.

Does anyone have part numbers for these parts or a website where I can find them. I converted to power steering changed the pitman a to match, now the drag link doesn't work, I may need the idler arm also.

Which steering box do you have (large or small sector shaft) and what year center link are you running?

I believe it's the large shaft power steering pump. The center link is original, the car was a 6 cyl but I have a 360 on it now.

I believe it's the large shaft power steering pump. The center link is original, the car was a 6 cyl but I have a 360 on it now.

What year is the center link? They're different between the year ranges 67-72 and 73-76, and they don't interchange unless you match the pitman and idler to the year range of the center link.

But if you have a large sector steering box and a 67-72 center link, I believe you're out of luck.

I just bought this one a few days ago.. Slid right on my 69 box. I bought an idler too.. But it's kinda sloppy. Not sure if I need to shim it or?
Screenshot_20231214-200133_Chrome.jpg

-
Back