plastic rechroming?????????

-

prodart340

Reaction score
working on the wife's ride and all the interior plastic is in great shape,,,,,,,,,,,,just minus the chrome!!!!!!!!!!!!! any suggestions

working on the wife's ride and all the interior plastic is in great shape,,,,,,,,,,,,just minus the chrome!!!!!!!!!!!!! any suggestions

I have a 67 cuda and it was like you have mentioned. You can send the dash cluster off to have it replated but I have seen some members have problems with that. They get the cluster back and it has been re-chromed plated but looks terrible, they send it back and was stuck without the cluster so it's a chance you take I guess. There is reproduction dash cluster for the 67 cuda but they are in the $425-450 range. I took my dash cluster out sprayed the entire cluster with flat black, high lighted areas with a sliver paint pen, installed AutoMeter MCX gauges. Not necessary in that order but that's what I did. I wanted the AutoMeter gauges and was going to have to cut the dash cluster to make them fit..... so I really didn't want to cut a new $400 something dash and mess up... lol! Over all the gauges is what cost the most to the dash looking decent again. I've got a before picture also.

I also installed a new dash cap because I had one little crack in the dash pad.

What car do you have? Most have the Rallye dash in which that is what I have.

http://www.pgclassic.com/ has all different type dash clusters for mopars.

DSC01984.jpg

DSC01024.jpg

mullinax....

Your dash looks outstanding....love the gauges

Can you be more specific about the silver paint pen?

mullinax....

Your dash looks outstanding....love the gauges

Can you be more specific about the silver paint pen?

LOL... thanks!

You should be able to find it at local hardware store i.e. Lowes, HomeDepot.

It is made by Gilmers (the glue people). The pen has "Painters" wrote on it and is Metallic Silver Argent. It is a calligraphy pen but I removed the end and switched it around and it is completely round on that end. So that helped to get in the hard places and also high light sharp edges. It's one of those pens that you push the tip in so the paint will soak in the tip. I found out that you don't want a lot of paint in the tip because it will want to run. Trial and error another words. Let me know if you need anymore information.

I used a pen like that on my `68 Barracuda grille. I painted the grille black and then used the pen to highlight the front edges of the grille.

I used a pen like that on my `68 Barracuda grille. I painted the grille black and then used the pen to highlight the front edges of the grille.

I used a paint marker on the tires for the RWL, but this gives me an idea for some yellow on the grill of the Demon without pulling it off again. :clock: Thx

Sorry prodart340....Don't mean to hijack your thread.......

Back to chrome repair on the interior. LOL

vae440 is a member here on this board and does plastic rechroming. I'm looking to send him my dash pieces when I get some extra money.

I used cvvacuumplaters for the dash plastic on my 64 Barracuda and the work and quality was superb. Nice folks to deal with too. They seem a bit pricey, but it's probably another example of "you get what you pay for." I used MrG for my arm rests and they exchanged my parts, which I wasn't real thrilled about. I would have preferred to get my own parts plated.

All my plastic for future projects will be going to CV.

I've used CV Platers as well........ I didn't think they were pricey for what they did and the quality of the work returned to me ( my original parts).
Daryl

I have been restoring these for a while now and only charge 375 for the dash, lenses, and glove box panel. I have done a couple for members on here before and have not had any complaints.

BRC 00.jpg

BRC 01.jpg

BRC 00.jpg

BRC 01.jpg

I've worked with Special T Unlimited and they do great jobs. No complaints at all. And the result is "as they were NOS"

I guess was I a little harsh on the re-plating ... this was one member only that I was commenting about how unhappy he was. He said he hadn't got his cluster back yet and that it had be a sometime since he sent it back.

I looked on PG classic and for my 67 cuda the Dash cluster is $425 and the glove box cover would be $99... so that would be $524 not counting shipping.

If it can be re plated cheaper than that then if would be smart to go that route.

If I had to have anything re plated vae440 would get my business.

-
Back