Plugging holes in truck bed?

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
Gentlemen, i just removed a 5th wheel trailer hitch from my truck and i want to plug the holes left by the bolts

What would be best?

body plugs with a dab of silicone?

Machine bolts? (Not sure i could get them tight)

Or...?

I would think rubber body plugs. Not really any different than the rubber plugs in our trunks, right?

Unless you are hauling sand, why do you want to? Lets the rain water out. My old Dakota and RAM had the rubber plugged anchors down in the bed. I left the plugs out. Lets the water run through, and helps keep the mud flushed out of the anchor pockets

I would think rubber body plugs. Not really any different than the rubber plugs in our trunks, right?
Definitely crossed my mind, sometimes the simple obvious answer is the best, but i figured i would ask

Unless you are hauling sand, why do you want to? Lets the rain water out. My old Dakota and RAM had the rubber plugged anchors down in the bed. I left the plugs out. Lets the water run through, and helps keep the mud flushed out of the anchor pockets
The truck has a tonneau cover on it which does a great job keeping rain (and snow) out

I use the truck as a family vehicle and the bed as a trunk

So it sees a lot of typical family luggage

I figured there isn't much coming in from above, but these holes might allow road debris and water and stuff to come in from the bottom

Quickest would be snap in plugs available at hardware stores. Plastic or shiny plated metal. You could seal them with a dab of silicone.

I was just looking at the bed of my Comanche yesterday. I believe it was a work truck when new and there are multiple 1/2" holes filled with deteriorating bondo in the bed. There are 2 about 1-1/2" dia in the left wheelwell covered with plates attached with sheet metal screws. It needs new bed lining so I'm going to clean all that out and weld in flush metal discs.

-
Back